Images
    Country
    Singapore

Plants melted due to Seachem Flourish Excel

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just read from Plantgeek website that some plants is melted due to flourish excell.

Some of the plants listed are:
    Vallisneria americana
    Vallisneria sp
    Egeria densa

Does anyone experience this before? Maybe can help list down sensitive plants.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hmm... How did this conclusion come about? Any scientific methodology? Was this done via isolated experiments? Do you have the link for our reading pleasure?

If this is something that is observed in the tank as a whole, I would take it with a pinch of salt. I have never heard of this before, nor come across this in some other planted forums.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry I have no idea how they come up with the conclusion, no information in their web site regarding that.

Anyway, check it out for your self:
    http://www.plantgeek.net/plant-195.htm

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It was reported in other aquatic forums as well as my own experience. No scientific paper published though. Riccia was reported to melt also. I dun remember too clearly if Downoi was one of them as well.

ck

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks for the link. The keyword given is "seems". So it is not an all conclusive claim and therefore, should be taken with a little bit of skeptism and a pinch of salt.

Sometimes the wording makes a hell of a difference. To claim a plant melts because of Excel, and a plant seems to melt because of Excel give very different meanings.

CK, interesting, as far I know, from what I have read, Downoi seems to melt a lot lot like crypts, any changes to the water parameter may melt them (I could be wrong).

If a conclusive claim is to be made, or a reasonable one if it can't be conclusivve, there has to be some methodology to it, e.g. some isolated tests. If there is none, this merely amounts to casual observations, which generally, should be taken with a pinch of salt.

My 2 cents.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    though says it "seems", I personally won't take any chances.

Unless I want to do some experiment to confirm it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I tried injecting excel directly to moss infested with algae last year...The algae and moss all turned white.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    And why not? Precisely there are so many myths in this hobby, it is just scaring everyone off. Especially with things that is not explained properly.

You can always get a few stalks first, isn't it? Especially with plants it is very easy to try. It is not like costing you an arm or a leg, is it?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Ah_ZhaN View Post
    I tried injecting excel directly to moss infested with algae last year...The algae and moss all turned white.
    Really, what moss is that?

But read somewhere that moss and algae are unable to make used of excell, because they are primitive plants or something like that. Anyone can confirm?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic View Post
    And why not? Precisely there are so many myths in this hobby, it is just scaring everyone off. Especially with things that is not explained properly.

You can always get a few stalks first, isn't it? Especially with plants it is very easy to try. It is not like costing you an arm or a leg, is it?
    Many reasons: don't have spare tank, lazy to clear the melted plant, lazy to do water change.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have vals. I dose according to instructions. They are okay. No melting.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Seachem stated in their FAQ that Anacharis is sensitive to Excel.
    http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/...Excel_faq.html

Just to clarify that my experience with plant sensitivity to excel is limited to overdosing for the purpose of algae treatment. Does not represent deficiency in product quality of seachem excel if dosing instructions are followed.

ck

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks bro for the link

Fourish excel does have side effect on some plants and the solution is reduce the dosage.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I did an experiment on the dosage of excel, pour 1/5 plus of the bottle of excel into my 2 ft planted to overdose the tank, in deed all my japonica start to melt from the stem especially and APP also melt, however my polysperma and rotala indica remain ok.
    Earth can satisfy our needs but she can't satisfy our greed, live light on this planet coz if we lose it, there ain't no others