Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Broken Impeller shaft

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Yesterday, my Eheim 2026 canister filter's impeller shaft boke into two pieces. The impeller 's magnetic core had a chipped surface too. Is this considered normal wear and tear for a 5 years old filter or indication of some other troubles? (This canister was used for 3 years and decommissioned. I only started to use it again 3 months ago)

I also noticed a deep horizontal groove appeared inside the impeller chamber. This was pointed out to me by Qian Hu staff when I went over to buy the spare parts. He said that the chamber might expand and this will render the pump head useless due to reduced flow rate. What could have caused this groove?

Does anyone change the rubber seals that fitted on the hose joint of the filter baskets? I noticed the rubber got hardened and it affects the flow rate. How often should we change these rubber seals?

I hope any seasoned/ experienced Eheim user can help to answer the above questions.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    was the shaft broken while in operation?
    the magnetic core should not be chipped.
    i would think that the horizontal groove is caused by a particle of sand or something similar.
    i don't think the chamber will expand. even if it does, there will be some sort of abrasion, not a single groove.
    the rubber seal should be changed when it hardens. i have not changed mine yet (after 7 years). i guess the mothball period caused the rubber to harden.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Magnetic core could have chipped when the shaft broke while motor is running, thus impact cause the magnetic core to knock the impeller chamber, thus chipping/cracking in the process.
    Desert and Cactus...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry, can't help as I've never been in this situation with my 2026. I've changed the rubber seal when it start to leak or when I re-use the canister again after leaving it unused for a long period of time.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.