Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: green water problem

green water problem

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I've big problem now. My tank water will turn green and it gets greener and greener until like those pond water in the open.

At first I change 50% of the water but the problem does not go away and keeps coming back so I was forced to change 100% of the water, the water stay clear for 4 days then start to turn green again.

I was forced to change 100% water, wash the filter but that doesn't help the water has started to turn green again.

I did not add anything to the water except the Aquamedi kH up powder.

I'm going crazy over this, feeding is very minimum and I feed once a day only and the fish will finish all the food in less than 10 sec.

Can someone offer some suggestions? I don't want to change 100% water again.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Where did you put your tank, is it in the path of direct sunlight?
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled" - Richard Feynman, 1986. Rogers commission into the Challenger disaster

----------------
    On 1/3/2002 11:25:11 PM

Where did you put your tank, is it in the path of direct sunlight?
    ----------------
    Further data, tank is out of the way of direct sunlight.
    it's a 4ft tank with 6 FLs. You suspect too much light?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    try UV.. heard it gets rid of greenwater

----------------
    On 1/3/2002 11:42:05 PM

try UV.. heard it gets rid of greenwater
    ----------------
    I will try for sure. Hmm... have to spend $$$ again. Any idea how much one cost?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi weileong

I dont think it is the aquamedic KH up powder as I am using the product without such problems...i dont think it is the lighting problem..as i am running 6 fl tubes in my 4ft tank....could it be cause of your UV shield that you installed onto your lights that may be giving you the problem?
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    before you try to get UV .... try to use this liquid by oceanfree call the geo liquid, if it doesnt work, i dun think it is too late to get UV filter
    -Paw here-

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    isn't the geo liquid thing treats cloudy water only?
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    geo liquid claims to treat everything from algae to fish death
    who knows, maybe if you drink it on a regular basis it might even cure cancer

try some dapnia first
    buy a bag, dump them inside, and see how it goes

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hey yimin

would the daphnia become a problem itself.....?
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    David,

Why would it be a problem...... I think the only problem would be the daphnia get eaten by the fishes b4 they get into action to clear the green water
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

----------------
    On 1/3/2002 11:49:55 PM

I dont think it is the aquamedic KH up powder as I am using the product without such problems...i dont think it is the lighting problem..as i am running 6 fl tubes in my 4ft tank....could it be cause of your UV shield that you installed onto your lights that may be giving you the problem?
    ----------------
    David,

The problem already happen before I install the UV shield, remember when I talk to you from my office I have not install the UV shield yet and I've already done 100% water change because of the problem and run out of kH powder.

Hmm... really bothering me, I'll try not use use UV if possible at all.

----------------
    On 1/3/2002 11:59:17 PM

before you try to get UV .... try to use this liquid by oceanfree call the geo liquid, if it doesnt work, i dun think it is too late to get UV filter
    ----------------
    I've tried this Geo liquid but doesn't seems to help. After reading your message I read the instructions again and found that I put in too little so now dose at 1ml to 3 litres, let's wait and see.

----------------
    On 1/4/2002 12:24:07 AM

try some dapnia first
    buy a bag, dump them inside, and see how it goes
    ----------------
    The Daphnia will be gone in less than 10 mins I think, my fishes will finish them. Heheh lots of suggestion and I'll try them.

I got cloudy water before but they are white, this time it's green. sucks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I would add some filter floss in the filter. Half the amount of light for the moment. Change 50% of water every other day till the water clear up. Check the filter floss, rinse it if it turns green.
    My Apisto Keeping Diary
    Apistogramma agassizii, Apistogramma bitaeniata "Careiro", Apistogramma brevis, Apistogramma elizabethae, Apistogramma eremnopyge, Apistogramma sp. "Miua", Dicrossus filamentosus

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------

The Daphnia will be gone in less than 10 mins I think, my fishes will finish them. Heheh lots of suggestion and I'll try them.

I got cloudy water before but they are white, this time it's green. sucks.
    ----------------

Eh not really weileong, if its in the bag, the daphnia should be quite safe...

Also the other alternative which has been suggested is to introduce duckweed. This help by blocking off some light, and more importantly sucking up excess nutrients.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Read this Green Water. Its about puting the daphnia in a cloth cage in the tank and placing it near the filter output. Idea is that the algae water gets into the cage but the daphnia are too big to get out, so they don't become the special of the day for yor fishes. Lots of other solutions too.

Is it a new setup? I had this problem when I started my 3.5 foot. I cut the light to 4 hours, closed all the curtains in the room. Did 50% water change every 2 days. Eventually it went away.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

----------------
    Eh not really weileong, if its in the bag, the daphnia should be quite safe...

Also the other alternative which has been suggested is to introduce duckweed. This help by blocking off some light, and more importantly sucking up excess nutrients.
    ----------------
    I've introduce the fog bit and they are growing like mad right now. I'll give the daphnia a try, good suggestion
    [:]

Meanwhile have added the correct dosage of Geo liquid so it'll take a while to see the results.

----------------
    On 1/4/2002 10:43:11 AM

Is it a new setup? I had this problem when I started my 3.5 foot. I cut the light to 4 hours, closed all the curtains in the room. Did 50% water change every 2 days. Eventually it went away.

----------------
    My tank is almost 2 yrs old I think, if not also 1.5 yrs old, everything very stable until his green water thing strikes, so far no other algae except a bit of green spots here and there but not so much and clean once in a month would be sufficient.

There are many suggestions from the brothers here and I'll give them all a try. *sign*

Update:

Situation is very very bad, yesterday just change 100% water and now water greenish again, a lot of difference from this morning.

I got some daphnia and made a "breeding tank" for them, I feed part of the output from the filter into this tank. The outlet is filtered with the very fine mesh so they won't get suck out. Will have to wait to see the results.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast