Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Exclamation Baby platies!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi i need help here urgently!! i just purchased 2 platies from the local LFS today and when i got home i realised that there are baby fries in the bag!! one of the platies just gave birth when im on my way home!
    unfortunately not all survived... 9 died and im left with 8 baby play fries

so my doubts are..

how do i rear those baby fries??
    and what neccesary equipments are required?

not sure if correct but here's what i did.

i filled a tank with all the water from the bag, den i added new water conditioned with PRIME. den i add ocean-free black water.
    currently the filter used is just a bio-mechanical filter.

how do i ensure that the baby fries grow up into healthy fish?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Why use black water? They aren't black water fishes. Keep them in freshwater close to neutral pH will do.

What exactly is your bio-mechanical filter? Overhead filter? Internal filter? As they are fries, don't use anything that provides too strong currents in your tank.

Put in some moss, there is minute food in the moss that the fries can take. Floating plants like frogbits or hornworts make excellent hiding places as fries are easily predated by larger fishes.

Feed them with daphnia, baby brine shrimp, minute granules, crushed flakes or Liquifry for livebearers. Please watch the water condition as they pollute the water easily when overfed.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    oh i just add black water to reduce stress. sorry newbie.

im using this filter.. the one on the right

by the way i have separated the fries from the other fishes.. so there is no need to put any plants right?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    The filter should be okay. If it is isolated, there is no need for the plants.

Moss is good if you can't feed for some reason or another, fries can find food among the moss. Floating plants will make them feel more comfortable and the better the environment is, the healthier they will grow. Plants also acts as filtration for the tank.

They will do okay without plants though, so it is a matter of preference.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    im worried about adding live plants cause of snails... does moss have snail eggs?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ah_hup View Post
    im worried about adding live plants cause of snails... does moss have snail eggs?
    when I first bought my pair of platy, the female gave birth too, the male is always ready at her backsie to eat the fry whenever the female gave birth.....

then again, my small tank got one drift wood lush with moss, so the fry wth nature instin will swim there to protect themselve till they r big enough to swim out..... after 3 month now my tannks r full with platy though the mama platy gave birth once a month and only few out of many survived each round.

so let nature take its course rather to separate the small one out.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by ah_hup View Post
    you can try to quarantine your plant before introduce it to your tank. I also hate snails

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by alex76 View Post
    when I first bought my pair of platy, the female gave birth too, the male is always ready at her backsie to eat the fry whenever the female gave birth.....

then again, my small tank got one drift wood lush with moss, so the fry wth nature instin will swim there to protect themselve till they r big enough to swim out..... after 3 month now my tannks r full with platy though the mama platy gave birth once a month and only few out of many survived each round.

so let nature take its course rather to separate the small one out.
    same here, I don't bother to seperate the fry.. lets nature take its course

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I've observed 2 rounds of baby platy born in my main tank this year. Both times I manage to save 1 baby each while the rest were eaten up by other fishes. Both times, I moved the rescued babies to my endler's tank and they disappear within the plants for about a month or two before I spotted them again. Right now, the first fish was moved back to the main tank and living happily there while the second one is still in the endler's tank as it is still too small to be safe from my 2 angles in the main tank.
    Basically, they were living in the endler's tank without any special treatment at all. Moved them out when I feel they are big enuf to fend for themselves and beginning to worry they would eat the endler's fries.