Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

View Poll Results: Are you for or against a "Seller's Review" link?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm IN

12 75.00%
  • I'm OUT

4 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For your consideration please...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

For your consideration please...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, I was thinking it may be better to have an additional link under the "Marketplace" called "Seller's Review" or something.

It's a place where hobbyists can give reviews and share positive/negative feedback on the shops/farms/dealers/breeders/hobbyist etc. so all of the members of AQ will have a better picture of what to expect from them.

This will benefit the newer hobbyists especially, as it enables them to filter down the countless places that we can buy fish/fish related products from.

It can also access the commitment of good sellers who wants the hobby to be passed on; or lousy sellers who just want to make a quick buck.

I believe many of us who are strating up the hobby will get extremely dejected if the fishes we just bought dies for no reason, or equipments getting spoilt after just a mere few days from purchasing.

In conclusion, I do hope that the administrators will give my suggestion some thought.
    Last edited by chin; 20th Dec 2006 at 10:15.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If it's for the good of the community, I say why not?

Have to wait for vinz's input though, I believe he has something along the lines in the works.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I don't remember seeing it on other forums though, but it could be pretty advantageous i suppose. Anyway, there's a poll that I had also created to see what the rest of AQ's members might think.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    We were debating this for a while. It's a double edged sword. AQ wants to maintain good relations with the LFSes and well, some of the LFSes are just not very open-minded about such things.

The way I see it, they should be taking it as feedback about their business and where they can improve to attract more customers. Unfortunately, not all of them are 'wise' enough to realise that.

It's still something being considered, while we get the LFS list up.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I can understand from an LFS's point of view; but lets just back track a little... isn't AQ a forum for hobbyists, regardless of how "senior" you might be to the hobby? It's a medium where all of us with the same passion come together to communicate and share experiences; ask for advices; etc...

Basically what I'm trying to put through is that AQ was create for hobbyists, and LFSs come into the picture only when they advertise their livestocks to notify hobbyists about it. You see, it all comes back for the good of us hobbyists no matter what.

I think at this point of time we should have more responses by the other members of AQ before deciding on anything...

Just my two cents' worth...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, correct. AQ is for the hobbyists. And as part of that, we go to the various LFSes at times to get sponsorship for prizes and events, and other support.

Also factoring in that we are considering producing AQ t-shirts or other merchandising, it'll be a shame when members can't wear the shirts while visiting LFSes in fear they might get bad service from offended LFSes.

Wouldn't it be great, if members can walk into an LFS wearing an AQ t-shirt and get automatic discounts? (No promises that we can make that happen, but it'll be nice wouldn't it?)
    Last edited by vinz; 19th Dec 2006 at 17:39.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the good suggestion!

I believe there was a system or function where buyers can rate the sellers after the transaction is closed. Very much like what they have on ebay. I have seen in on some of the bigger forums, but not on any aquatic forums.

This is definitely something we are considering, but do not expect changes anytime in the near future.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    But we must also be aware that sometimes, it is NOT the LFS' or sellers' fault when it comes to 'fishes we bought dies for no reason' (as quoted)... This is a very thin thread there...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    How about review on the equipment, it will be a great help for beginner like myself

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    vinz- After you mentioned the "bonuses" that AQ members might be able to get, I can now clearly understand why AQ wouldn't want to create any friction with LFSes.

But I only agree with you to a certain extent. I can only think of a reason as to why AQ will tie up with selected LFSes, and that is because they are of reputable status well trusted sellers by the more senior members who has bought equiptment or livestocks from them before.

If the individual LFSes has already built that established rapport with us, why would they be afraid of getting "rated"?

My main belief to create a "Seller's Review" link is to be able to make "smaller" neighbourhood shops; or shops which are new; etc. to be made known to all of us so that we will have a wider scope as to where we might want to get our needed stuffs from, and also judge the quality of the items for sale at that particular shop.

benny- Thank you for your support. I belive also believe that the link will not only benefit the buyers, but the sellers as well.

Justikanz- I meant to say that as beginners, we might not be able to differentiate between healthy/unhealthy fishes, or fishes that bears minute strains of diseases. An irresponsible seller will roof the defects with persuasive remarks.

Shadow- Yes, equipments rating can also be implemented. Basically buyers will be doing a review on the items, may it be fishes or equipment; or even the post-purchase service provided by the sellers.
    Last edited by chin; 21st Dec 2006 at 10:47.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Good idea-but I have to agree with Vinz on the caution part.
    It's ok to give good or great reviews but giving bad reviews can results in lawsuits that can be very bad for everybody involved.
    I suggest a good or great review only.
    If it's not even mentioned then the hobbyist may be able to join the dots.

When we're dealing with somebody's livelihood we have to take extra care unless you're made of rubber!

Remember the John Novak case?

My two cents...
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It is very good to have a Seller Review section. However, I think it is better for the Review to provide only positive feedback. Positive feedback sets the bench mark for the hobbyists and they can make better shopping decisions and avoid bad deals. Negative feedback very often invites emotional responses and also there is the risk of someone using this channel to attack his competitor. Singapore is a small market, it is important for hobbyists and LFSs to develop a friendly or neutral relationship to keep this hobby going. If a LFS is not up to mark, you can still feel at ease walking into his shop with your membership T-shirt when you didn't publish his negative business records openly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Totally agree with blim on the part about sticking to postive feedback only.
    Also, I feel, qualitative feedback would definitely be more useful than quantitatve feedback, since different people may have a different idea of what a '5' would represent. It would be more useful to hear about good experience with certain seller or certain shop, rather than to know that this shop has average rating of 4, while that one has average rating of 4.5 etc.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Is cheap stuff considered as positive feedback?
    There might be a possibility that this review thing will come down to which shop sells cheap stuff...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Cheap stuff that would be interesting, though I found that each LFS have their own stuff that cheaper compare to other.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I consider the following positive -

A wide choice of fish, plants and equipment - a visit to this shop opens my eyes;
    Give me the attention, provide the information and educate me;
    Honest in his/her recommendations

Cheap stuff is good but I don't mind paying slightly more if the LFS makes an effort to guide me when I have questions or need help.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by blim View Post
    It is very good to have a Seller Review section. However, I think it is better for the Review to provide only positive feedback. Positive feedback sets the bench mark for the hobbyists and they can make better shopping decisions and avoid bad deals. Negative feedback very often invites emotional responses and also there is the risk of someone using this channel to attack his competitor. Singapore is a small market, it is important for hobbyists and LFSs to develop a friendly or neutral relationship to keep this hobby going. If a LFS is not up to mark, you can still feel at ease walking into his shop with your membership T-shirt when you didn't publish his negative business records openly.
    I'm not sure if it's a good idea to walk into the LFS wearing AQ membership T-shirt, the shopkeeper may give not offer preferential treatment to those who didn't. May be better to shop as a "mystery shopper", that way the online reviews wouldn't be skewed. Just my two cents worth

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    A neutral-positive feedback is a very good twist to my initial suggestion.

But giving a good rating for LFSs who offers only cheap prices but give a half-past six service will be very unfair. Like I had mentioned, the rating system, if implemented will generally benefit the beginners. And when I say beginners, I do not only mean people who just started hobby, but it could also mean hobbyists who wanted to try their hands on a new species, and needs some guidance/tips on top of their own homework.
    I won't if I can't, but I can so I'll mix...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    We can stay factual and let the readers judge. A rating system which is strictly on facts without judgement has a better chance to work for its intended purposes.

If a shop offers low price but services is so so. We say, it is cheap, average service (if it is indeed average). Or we say it is cheap (no mention of services, if service is poor).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Seems that this discussion has two subtle branches. One about LFS reviews, the other about sellers in our merchant and marketplace forums.

Based on the poll question, the orginal topic is the latter.

In any case, reviews should be structured, so that it reflects as accurate as possible a view and a consistent set of criterias.

I've always been wary of rating based on pricing, because we always have to consider the quality of the goods and services delivered. Fortunately, Budak came to my rescue with 'Value for Money'.

The review system we were toying (we still deciding whether it's a good idea) with will be structured like a poll, to allow ratings on a scale for specific criterias. The rating will also be anonymous.

Hopefully, the LFS will view that we are offering them a free feedback service.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast