Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: black spots on plant

Feedback Score

black spots on plant

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi...need some advice from you guys. My nana is getting black spots on its leaves but the leaves are still intact. This seems to affect only some leaves. The others look ok. Would anyone know the reason for this?
    Also, i have some background plants (not sure what the name is but they are kind of long and whippy) that are turning brown and some of the stalks become transparent and just disintergrates. Is this because there is too little light?
    It is great to see how helpful you guys have been on the forum in terms of keeping planted tanks. Some of the tanks are really nice especially Peter Chua's.

cheers

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Lynz,

Before we can help, we need to know some details about your tank like:
    - Size of tank
    - amount and type of light
    - using any base fert?
    - using any liquid fertilisers?
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Hi Vince,

My tank is about 24x10x10...one of those shallow and narrow tanks. I used JBL base fertiliser and have a 2-tube e-ballast light ( i think it is about 30 ws..quite blur with all this wattage thingy). I occasionally add JBL liquid fert (ferrapor).

thnks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 8/7/2002 10:22:56 AM

Hi...need some advice from you guys. My nana is getting black spots on its leaves but the leaves are still intact. This seems to affect only some leaves. The others look ok. Would anyone know the reason for this?
    Also, i have some background plants (not sure what the name is but they are kind of long and whippy) that are turning brown and some of the stalks become transparent and just disintergrates. Is this because there is too little light?
    It is great to see how helpful you guys have been on the forum in terms of keeping planted tanks. Some of the tanks are really nice especially Peter Chua's.

cheers

----------------
    The black spots on the nana leaves could be algae -- caused by exposure to too much light. Is that nana planted in the shade or open?
    For the melting plants in the background, could be that they are still adjusting to the condition of the tank. Is the tank new?
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I guessing you've got what's called a PL tube. It's probably 36W. Your tank is about 10 US Gallons capacity. So your light amount can be considered high.

The black spots is probably algae as Juggler pointed out. This is most likely especially if the affected leaves are the ones exposed to the fully and the unaffected ones are shaded.

As for the disintegrating plants, they should at least survive with JBL base fert, if not do well. Could be as Juggler suggested. How long have these plants been planted? They look like lalang?

Feedback Score
    Hi, Vinz/Juggler,

Ok...you guys are good.Yup....the nana is smack in the center of the tank under full exposure of the light. I had a closer look at the leaves and the spots do look like algae. I guess i have to reduce the light.I do have some hair grass and tenullus on the ground.The tips of the hairgrass and tenullus leaves had turned brown, so i thought it was due to lack of light. That's why i put in place a stronger light.What wattage would you recommend then for a good balance.
    Yes...the tank is fairly new...about 2 and half weeks.

Thnks for the advice...very impressive with your diagnosis!

cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Vinz/Juggler,

You meant that Nana and Cypto plants are not light demanding plants? Which means that if too much lights are exposed to them, they will not grow well?

If that's the case, then I think I know why those black brush algae starts growing on them as shown in the previous topics discussion.

Coz the plants don't pose that algae(black dots) problem when my lightings were poor.
    Those algae and black dots only appears after I increase the lighting wattage for my 2ft tank. []

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ninja, they r slow growers, therefore giving them too much light aint gonna increase their growth rate, infact.. algae was cover them b4 anything else.. so the logic is to plant these slow growers under shade or a dim corner

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    They won't melt or anything like that. Just that their leaves last so long that algae grow on them. Crypts are not as bad as Nanas.

Better to keep nanas and crypts shaded under taller plants.

Lynz, instead of lowering the lights, try moving the nanas to the sides/back of the tank or plant a tall plant to shade them or do both. Try something like Hygrophila Polysperma 'Rosanervig' or Rotala Indica a.k.a. R.Rotundofolia. Plant them behind the Nanas and let them grow up and over. Problem is you'll need to prune them every 1 to 2 weeks.

You only have one piece of PL right? You can keep it, but bear in mind your set up is good enough for hi light plants. So I suggest planting more plants to suck up nutrients. There is a high potential for algae problems.

If you want to reduce the light then go down to about 2W/Gal. So maybe a 20W or 24W FL. FL is the normal straight tube flourescent lights used in most homes. The hair grass and tenellus might have problems, but then your tank might be short enough for them to get enough light from the 20/24W.

Feedback Score
    Vinz,
    Will try out your suggestions. Thnks a lot.

cheers