Singapore

Platy in trouble

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hihi,

I have platies in two separate tanks.

1. one pair of parents platy in a tank, suddenly become very shy, keep hiding behind the plants..... last time used to swim about looking for food, and when I take up the feeding bottle, they will the first one who came up to the surface looking frantically at the bottle.... but now they just hide away... dunno what's wrong.

2. one platy in another tank, the scale all open up like durian... when it swim and hit something, the scale will drop, the head sunken and the eye going to drop out from the socket.... dunno what's wrong too....

Thanks for any advice

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The platy with the scales opened up like durian is suffering from Dropsy. At this stage, it's probably beyond what you can do as an aquarist to help it. The good thing is that Dropsy as a condition is not infectious. The bad thing is that dropsy is usually a secondary infection resulting from the malfunctioning of internal organs. That might be infectious and can be a variety of things.

As for the shy fishes, there could be many external conditions that could lead to such a behavious. Only you will be in the best position to find out.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Fish that suddenly turn shy usually do that for the following reasons:

1) Water quality turned bad. But usually, this will affect all fish and seldom, only a couple of them

2) Stress. The fish could be targetted for attacks from their tank mates. The female could be harrassed by the male or a predator.

3) Mating/parental care/brooding etc... But usually, these activities come hand in hand also with aggression.

I would suggest that you check their tank mates.

As for the dropsy platy, there is nothing much you can do... I'm sorry. Dropsy is, at this moment, incurable. I suspect it is a problem with the kidneys...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...