Country
    India

Smile Hi everyone

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello
    my name is aditya, am from pune, maharashtra, india.
    have been keeping fish for quite some time now,have 6 tanks (cichlids,arowanas,predatory catfishes) but am a total noob when it comes to planted tanks
    had been visting this forum for quite some time now (as a guest), finally registered now

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi aditya!

Welcome to Aquatic Quotient! It's great to know that we have quite a few Indian aquarist amongst our members. Helps us to get a different perspective on things too!

Out of curosity, what made you take an interest in planted tanks? Most arowana and predatory fish keeps can't seem to develop an interest in this area as they find the fauna suitable for planted tanks not to their liking.

Enjoy your stay here!

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi aditya,

Welcome to Aquatic's family

I think arowana and predatory can be keep in a planted tank with a good selection of plant or material

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It depends on the behaviour of the fish. Some large cichlids clear large areas of substrate as a nest or territory, so if the tank is not large enough, they will often remove all plants, driftwood, large rocks in the tank, as they consider the whole tank as theirs.

Asian arowanas, do not have this problem. I've kept an asian arowana in a planted tank, and it has never tried to move the plants. It just needs a hidden area about the length of its body and a few inches wide to rest on. An unplanted area behind some tall plants seem ideal.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    India
    Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    Out of curosity, what made you take an interest in planted tanks? Most arowana and predatory fish keeps can't seem to develop an interest in this area as they find the fauna suitable for planted tanks not to their liking.
    my first choice are planted tanks any given day
    all my big fishes are kept in bare bottom tanks, so maintenance is pretty easy and i have no plans of having plants in them, both my planted tanks will have either tetras or shrimps in them
    gettin all the equipment required for planted tanks is pretty hard in pune. the planted tank scene in southern india like bangalore/hyderabad is pretty decent, but in pune its downright sad
    the 'planted tank' that most lfs here setup is a 2x1x1 tank with some tetras/angelfish, amazon swordplants, cabomba, vallisneria etc with a single 18/36w T8. the plants die in 1-2 months, the customers go n get new plants again...rinse n repeat
    most of the equipment/plants we need, we have to get from singapore at very high rates, cuz getting them here is impossible..i had to settle for some prodac gravel named fondo vivo even when i was ready to pay for stuff like ADA/seachem flourite/onyx etc
    but i do think it will improve in the future as more and more ppl here r being bitten by the planted tank bug
    ps - where can i add a avatar? the option is missin in the User CP

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    well well since Vinz have to mention his fish, time to watch his video

http://www.hexazona.com/images/misce...mosus%2001.mpg
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    India
    ^^thnks