Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Dymax T5

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am currently using a 4' Dymax setup with 4 x 54watts T5s. Though 2 switches are in-built, the set is powered from a single power point. 2 tubes are from Dymax and 2 tubes from Osram. I think they are all 6500K type. I am not too satisfied with the light penetration as my tank is 2' deep. I have the following queries:

a. Is my current setup considered a HO or VHO?
    b. Can I change the tubes to those from ATI, without changing the ballasts? Possibly using a mixture of 6500K and 8000K.
    c. Is it possible to modify the set to take from 2 power points so that 2 timers can be used?

Thanks and a Happy New Year to all!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    a. Is my current setup considered a HO or VHO?

Your setup is only a HO setup.

b. Can I change the tubes to those from ATI, without changing the ballasts? Possibly using a mixture of 6500K and 8000K.

Never used the ATI before, but you probably can do it without the change of your ballasts.

c. Is it possible to modify the set to take from 2 power points so that 2 timers can be used?

Should not be a problem. The reason for the 2 switches is because each ballast can only support 2 tubes, and each ballast is has only 1 live and earth. The current setup will probably be 1 wire core to the two switches. You should be able to easily remove one of the connecting wires to one of the switches and lay in a new wire for the other switch...

Regarding your 2ft depth, you might want to consider MH? Because changing your tubes light spectrum will only change the amount of RGB spikes, and changing the tubes to 8000K only increase the amount of green and blue (more and most penetrative respectively compared to red). The red will still be absorbed by the water column at a certain depth. So the bottom wouldn't get the full spectrum of the light but only a portion of it.
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe you can change existing reflector to individual parabolic or m-spider reflectors for better light penetration.

Cars headlight have mirror like reflector so light travel far away.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Usually you can't due to limited width of the casing...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/