Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Air in canister filter

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    After cleansing my 2028, air mixed with water was coming out of the filter outlet. I checked the hose connections, the filter media baskets and canister body, but could not figure out how did air managed to get into the system. After running for less than 1/2 an hour, there was no air or water discharge from the outlet though the filter motor was still running, albeit with louder noise. The priming area was also warm when touched. I did a few rounds of reassembling and checks but to no avail. What has gone wrong? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    happen to mine before. when you tilt the filter, is there any leakage?
    mine is due to improper priming done.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    are you using surface skimmer? if yes, maybe the lower inlet block by debris and water mix with air going in from the top.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Had thoroughly checked the filter and there was no leak. Yes, I am using a skimmer, but has ruled out this as the cause as there is no blockage. I called up Qian Hu, the local agent for Eheim, and was advised that the canister was not to be filled with water when assembling the system. The gentleman advised that upon connecting the hose adapter and the throttle control level locked, water would rush to fill the canister. It seems this will displace the air and push it out of the outlet spray bar. I do not remember seeing such explicit instruction in the manual. Will try this tonight.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if it is still not working, check the impeller. It was happen to my eheim impeller that the magnet is rotating but not the propeller thing (don't know what do you call it, is it turbine?). Somehow the impeller lock is broken, I used epoxy to glue it back.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tried turning on the system without water in the canister, as advised by Qian HU, but was unsuccessful. There is still air coming out of the outlet pipe. The impeller is definitely working as there is circulation of water. Still very puzzled where did the air came from. Perhaps have to bring the pump to the agent for checks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Brought the 2028 and its adapter valves to Qian Hu for check but it was working perfectly! Discovered there was problem in using the priming function though. Though this discovery did not contribute to the air lock, was advised to change the O ring, Cost $30!! Out of desperation, upon reaching home, I forgo the use of the skimmer and connected the original Eheim intake pipe. Viola! the air lock was resolved. I am still puzzled how did the skimmer, which was operating well for a year, contributed to the air lock. I had even tried to fully submerged the skimmer floating intake as this would be a potential area to cause the air lock (the lower water intake was cleared of debris).

I would like to thank all who responded to my post.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi bro,

regarding the o-ring ,is it the rubber seal on the cover itself ?
    is it easily to change? regards

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    My understanding is that it is not the one found on the rim of the motor housing, but found inside it. Qian Hu, which is the local agent for Eheim, said that the labour for replacing would be free as the 2028 has a 3-year warranty.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ehlim, I believe you need to switch off the surface skimmer when starting the filter. The water must not enter through the floating plastic part but through the bottom submerged part of the skimmer.

On another note, my setup for my filter employ the lazy person setup approach. For my setup, I too uses a surface skimmer but between the skimmer and the external filter, I attached the Eheim Installation Set 1. Due to the small space in the cabinet, I have forego using the priming function and the Installation set has helped me avoid the frustration of having to start up my filter after doing maintenance on it. Believe me, I have cursed and swear when I can't start my filter successfully but after using the Installation kit, no more cursing and swearing. Just open the cap, pour in the water, close back the cap and start the filter.

Hope this helps!
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think using the skimmer is ok maybe the flow from the water surface valve is open wide. Hence all the water flow is from the top of skimmer and air as well are sucked into the filter. Adjust the valve so that the bottom part is also sucking in water. My 2 cents.