Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Over Flow System for planted tank!!?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smile Over Flow System for planted tank!!?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear all,
    i wonder if anyone of you know of this shop in Jurong East call Fuwo. I noticed that his set up is utilising overflow filtration system. was told by some LFS that OFS is not suitable but my eyes are telling me another thing. As i'm setting up a 5 ft on my house, i need to know the "correct & Best " type of filtration theer is for planted set ups. Hence, i came up with my own design. Pls comment.

Thanks.
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The best way for planted tank is using external canister filteration. Primarily because the CO2 will not be lost, there no splashing of water. Also overhead filter system block out lighting position and its unsightly for a 5 feet tank.

IMO, using overhead system is more for small tank and keeping fishes only tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

The general view is that for planted set up, there should be as little surface agitation as possible to prevent co2 loss, so most planted set up usually make use of canister filters. One problem which I have experience when having planted setup with cannister is that there may be build up of a thin film on the water surface, when this happens, people either get platies/mollies which are known to feed on this film, or install a skimmer.

You will not see the same problem in an overflow system. However, the filp side is you must really do your best to minimize the amount of splashing in such a set up and in order to compenstate the co2 loss, you probably have to up your co2 injection.

So you're setting up a 5 footer, what sort of plants / fishes do you plan to have? There are some folks who go filterless perhaps you can read up on this option as well.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Overflow systems are discouraged for planted tanks, but not impossible. As Eric explained, it's due CO2 loss due to the water agitation. The result is that you end up using more CO2.

The trick is to minimise water agitation when designing the overflow system.

The thing is, find out how the planted tank work, and most times you can figure out why certain things are 'taboo' or in some cases, misconceptions. You might even find a solution to a problem that has plagued hobbyist for ages.

If you talk to some arowana keepers 6 years ago, almost everyone will tell you you're crazy to put one in a planted tank. Well, now, there are quite a number of arowana planted tanks in Singapore.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smile Some thing on my mind. pls comment...

Wow!! Guys, thanks for the prompt reply. OK.
    I think i'll listen to the gurus here. better stick to a cannister. But any recommendations? Some people tell me that for a 5 ft, i will need 2 filters. Is it true?
    For the filterless thread, where can i find it?
    As for fauna, i will be having altums, cardinal, leopard cory, oto and of course the all time favourite yamato.
    As for flora, my wish list is Vallisneria, E.Tenellus, Red Lotus, Java and Mini sword. Pls comment

Cheers!!
    David aka Altum_lover 76
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smile Something on my mind. Pls comment...

Here's my design. Please comment. thanks
    Last edited by David Moses Heng; 29th Nov 2008 at 11:21.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

If you plan to go with cannister, it is indeed good to have 2. The reason is this, if you plan to just go with one, you will need to get one with high flow rate, and I am not sure if others agree with this, but the mid-range cannister filters with high flow rate tends to get a bit noisy after a while. It would be better to get 2 filters with lower flow rates to do the job.

As for recommendations, I am sure you will hear lots of people telling you to go with Ehiem. Good quality aside, it also has good warranty and support, easy (compared to other brands) to get spare parts in the future if you need to. However, personally, being a cheapo, I usually go for china brand and change when it spoils. It is up to individual.

You can use the 'search' function in the forum to find out on going filterless, but here's a good starting point:
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ght=filterless
    - eric

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smile Something on my mind. Pls comment...

Eric,

Thanks for the advice. well eheim is a bit too costly fo rme Low on budget cos was just retrenched...

Anyway, how about a sump for planted tank. Saw one such set up in yishun recently. pls advice.

Cheers!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, I am using a 5FT IOS tank. Fill up the water to the brim and you will have something like an internal box filter.This however eliminates the 'trickle effect' which is actually one of the main feature of a sump filter. The purpose is to prevent CO2 loss.Main problem I face is that small fish tend to get trapped in the filter no matter how small the mesh size I use. I feel somehow this setup works for me, and I do not have to bother about canisters.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Whether sump, single filter or multiple filters, you need to meet these citeria:

1. Good even circulation. That means installing sufficient outlets, strategically located to give you consistent but overly strong circulation thruout the whole tank. For single pumps (from sumps) or filters, it means having to split the outlets. Some people install small power heads to handle stagnant areas.

2. Sufficient filter media to host the filter bacteria to handle the expected waste matter.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Darn, I remember reading something about how overflows are not that bad for big planted tanks, but I can't figure out where I saw it.

If you could get hold of The Style of ADA there is a bit of text on Amano's huge tank that uses a sump with a overflow if I'm not wrong.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Talking

I have notice how fuwo tank is setup. He use the drilled hole on the glass that should be connected to the pump as outlet to be the inlet.

Then he connect a Y conector to the hole which can act both as inlet and surface skimmer.

Then there won't be any splashing as the water level is high.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    Bulkhead overflow system with a sump is the best thing for bigger planted tank.
    -It help keeps your surface clean of debris and protein film.
    -it adds to total volume of your system and improving stability.
    -It has the capacity/volume where no canister filter can match (you will need many canister filter to reach the same effect)
    -It keeps your water level constant.
    -The sump is a great place to dump all your equipments out from sight : thermometer, CO2 reactor, heater, chiller, automated WC, automated fert doser, etc.
    -When set up right, it is not such badass CO2 outgassing monster as generally seen as (never set it as trickle or wet n dry system in a planted tank!)
    -As most sump overflows are DIY, it is the real deal for people having difficulty in acquiring canister filter in their area.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Talking

medicineman I strongly support what you say! Alot of thing can be made possible with DIY modification.

I can assure that if you modified ur piping properly, min co2 will be wasted. I use to use OHF (modified) when i started off with planted tank. My riccia is still bubbling even when I am using DIY co2. So I guess min co2 is lost in the whole process of filtration.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thumbs up Overflow system for planted tanks!!?

Cool guys!!

Would anyone of you be keen to help me setup my 5x 2 x 2.5 tank?

I intend to DIY the sump but am culeless...

Any gurus out there can help?

By the way, is generationX still around? they have got pretty nice bog woods there...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If you are still sold on the idea of an internal overflow tank.
    I am no expert but you are welcome to take a look at my tank to see how I run it, just don't get shocked and tell everyone how ugly it is. CCK right?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Altum_lover76 View Post
    By the way, is generationX still around? they have got pretty nice bog woods there...
    Thomas closed the shop at Blk 354 Clementi Ave 2 and moved to Marine Parade. That shop subsequently closed too. Shame.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: GenX

Agree Benny!!

It was such a shame that GenX has to go...

I also notice that the shop along near eunos MRT are also going... Drove by there some weeks ago and saw half the shop become a hair saloon.

Can anyone pls confirm this??

sad

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Altum_lover76 View Post
    Agree Benny!!

It was such a shame that GenX has to go...

I also notice that the shop along near eunos MRT are also going... Drove by there some weeks ago and saw half the shop become a hair saloon.

Can anyone pls confirm this??

sad
    Hi,

Are you referring to Aqua Nature? Check out the merchant ads thread, I believe the owner / person in charged posted on sale of their display tanks.
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=26751

However, I can't confirm if the shop is 'going' or not.

Cheers
    - eric

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smile Overflow system for planted tanks!!?

Hi BT, yes.

I'm refering to that shop. I notice that they have got pretty impressive moss on DW in their display tanks... Think i'll have to drop by one of these days once my knee gets better.

Cheers!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast