Images
    Country
    Singapore

CO2 cylinder long term storage and lifespan

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have this 2nd-hand green coloured CO2 cylinder that I bought from an AQian three years ago.

Recently I've moved to non-CO2, therefore I'm not using it anymore, but it is still full from a recent top up. I don't want to sell it off at the moment, so I'm thinking of storing it away long term.

My question is, how long do such cylinders last (mine's a steel one, hardly touched except during refills at Bioplast) and is it better if I emptied the CO2 cylinder before storing away?

Right now the regulator is emptied of gas and the main tap closed.

Does anyone know how long do solenoids/regulators last too?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Long term, best to store it empty.

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Philippines
    a couple of my friends here suddenly had their solenoid overheating for no apparent reason, the only common thing we found is that their solenoids were stored for a prolonged period of time without use, the theory is the magnet got stuck or something and it was unable to open the solenoid again, thus overheating the electric parts...

im not 100 percent sure just added info maybe the solenoid needs to be lubricated or something if stored for long periods of time.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Good information there. Thanks!

My common sense told me seconds after I posted this thread that I should empty it... I'm so dumb sometimes.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sometimes it is important to ask for opinions and also provide information to the others...
    If you had not asked, I wouldn't have known that need to empty the tank...
    So you are not dumb...
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    We all need to indulge in self-bashing once in a while.

No one knows the lifespan of a steel cylinder?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    We don't throw or roll our tanks around like folks in the industry so wear and tear is minimal. The only worry is the condition of the safety valve.

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Philippines
    and if you empty it they SHOULD hydrotest it before refilling the tank so you should know it if it is still ok... i think rust is the only enemy.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

co2

Quote Originally Posted by |squee| View Post
    I have this 2nd-hand green coloured CO2 cylinder that I bought from an AQian three years ago.

Recently I've moved to non-CO2, therefore I'm not using it anymore, but it is still full from a recent top up. I don't want to sell it off at the moment, so I'm thinking of storing it away long term.

My question is, how long do such cylinders last (mine's a steel one, hardly touched except during refills at Bioplast) and is it better if I emptied the CO2 cylinder before storing away?

Right now the regulator is emptied of gas and the main tap closed.

Does anyone know how long do solenoids/regulators last too?

for scuba cyclinder it is a no no to empty tank (all the more for steel tank)
    :reason: as long as there is pressure inside the tank,no water vapour will slip in. Second ,and if you store the tank for more than one year,you need to empty the tank as the air inside will turn bad.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by charlessito View Post
    :reason: as long as there is pressure inside the tank,no water vapour will slip in. Second ,and if you store the tank for more than one year,you need to empty the tank as the air inside will turn bad.
    Wow that's great info!
    Admiring my Fishes calm the Beast within me

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    A scuba cylinder?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by charlessito View Post
    even if the cylinder is empty, there is no reason why water vapour would "slip in" if the main valve is properly shut.
    and what is mean by "air inside will turn bad"?
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tawauboy View Post
    even if the cylinder is empty, there is no reason why water vapour would "slip in" if the main valve is properly shut.
    and what is mean by "air inside will turn bad"?

sorry ,What I mean is stale. As for co2 I have no ideal if the co2 will turn bad or something.

there is no way a valve can be 100% shut from air especially when the tank is empty . Air can slip in from the neck of the tank as they are screw tread . When the air inside the tank is colder than the air outside,pressure will drop and because we already have one atmosphere pressure outside,pressure will force the air in,of course we cant see with out naked eye and the amount is so tiny to be measure. But in long term,damage will occur.(such as rust will form inside)
    If this dont helps,than put it this way,ALL dive center in the world who own tanks,be it scuba or oxygen tank, they will NEVER empty their tanks.
    I will say,be safe than sorry,once the inside of the steel tank we use for our co2 corrode,your hydro test will fail and no one will fill up your co2 for you.
    All tank works the same.The only different is the content inside.