Country
    Singapore

Smile My virgin vivaruim...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear all,

I'll be starting on my very first vivaruim today. Please guide me along as I'm really new to this...

Don't want to be throwing money into the drain...

So experts out there(Bro Wild Ginger, Justikanz...), please pardon me if i do fumble along the way..

Be going to farmart and pet hut later with my one good leg(not a joke).

Cheers!!
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Best to start with a clear idea of:

1) Desired size of your tank
    2) What kind of set up are you looking at? i.e. How much water to land ratio and how high the water?
    3) What plants would you like inside?
    4) What animals would you like inside?
    5) What are the other accessories do the tank need such as filter, water pump, glass covers, silicone, background, clay pellets, soil, the required plants and animals, wood, lighting etc etc... And where to find them.

All of the stuff should be ready and on hand before the water goes in and the plants. Animals should go in last and it is recommended to wait till the plants establish in a month or more.
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smile My virgin Vivarium

Justikanz,

Thanks for the advice.

Just came from Farmart and Pethut to enquire about the costing. Glad to know that it is well within the budget that i submitted to my "S4".

Well, the theme will be somethoing similar to the one that Vic Teo has in his posting but the land area will be 3:1. will post the proposed drawing later.

as for plants, this is one aarea that i need help. Any suggestions?

Also, i think i will be having a pair of Green Tree Frog and maybe a fire belly in the tank but i don't if it is possible to aquire small ones?

Hm... wonder if they are compatabile?

Tank size will be 2ft x 1.5 ft x 2 ft.

By the way, Benny, was it you that i saw at aquameadows just now?

Cheers!!
    Last edited by David Moses Heng; 25th Jan 2007 at 17:22. Reason: add additional info
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smile My virgin Vivarium

As promised,

Here is the proposed layout.

Please commend.

Cheers!!
    Last edited by David Moses Heng; 29th Nov 2008 at 11:21.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smile My virgin Vivarium

Hi AQers,

Was wondering if anyone can direct me as to where can i get cork for my vivaruim? I know Rainbow aquarium has got them but that was early last year. Any LFS in the west carries them?

Can advise?

If got any lobang please sms me or email me.

HP 96814289

Cheers!!!
    Last edited by Justikanz; 26th Jan 2007 at 10:53. Reason: 'pls'

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Please note that the only AVA approved amphibian pet is the White's Tree Frog. For a 2ft tank, 1 of the frog would be more than enough. Also, it would prefer to stay off ground. Thus, your bogwood will have to be strong enough to handle the animal's weight and size. Otherwise, it will also like to hide under the wood. Plants there will then suffer.

The Tree Frog will probably eat anythign that moves in its tank. Thus, no tank mates would be recommended.

Corkbark was last seen at Nature Aquarium. Not sure if other shops are stocking it.

As for plants for the tank, you can try emersed crypts, nanas and mosses. Terrestrial plants that you commonly seen along the roadside can also be used. You can also go to the plant nurseries and take a look at the plants available.

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smile My virgin Vivarium

Justkianz,

Thanks for the advice.

Called NA just now and confim that they still have them. Might be going down tomorrow. As for the tank mates, is it really a no no? Thought of adding either fire bellied newts or some gouramis like honey or dwarf as i will be having quite a deep water feature also.

Went to C328 just after my treatment an NUH hoping to find some nice driftwood (DW) but they don't seem to have any...

Think will have to get from NA or colourful...

Cheers!!
    Last edited by Justikanz; 26th Jan 2007 at 13:07.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    White's Tree Frogs don't relish too deep a water feature. Apparently, they are not good swimmers and can drown. Also, a high water level means low height between tank cover and land, which is not desired for tree frogs.

Yes, the newts are a no no.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smile My virgin Vivarium

Thnaks Bro Justkianz.

will take note.

Cheers!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smile My virgin Vivarium

Just went to get stuff for my vivarium.

Got 2 ft worth of PVC pipe dia abt 1.5" for lest than $x.

Now it is the choice of tank.

Hmm... shoud i use a 2 ft by 1 ft by 18 " or a 20" x 1.5ft x 1.5ft?

Any suggestions?

Tomorrow i'll be shopping for cork bark or foam for my backdrop...

Adio Amigos!!!
    Last edited by David Moses Heng; 27th Jan 2007 at 13:47. Reason: wrong measurement.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smile My virgin Vivarium

Just came back from my "shopping trip" at the RC.

Got about 3 ft worth of egg crate and gravel filter from the uncle there.

Now off to mustafa and then home to plan the next course of action.

Sorry no pictures because my OM10 gave up om me.

Cheers!!
    Last edited by Justikanz; 29th Jan 2007 at 15:10. Reason: 'cos'

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The bigger the tank, its better for its inhabitants.....go for the maximum size tank you can!!
    Aquatic Dreams
    Custom Made Aquarium Tanks, Cabinets & Stands

Contact Us: [email protected]
    FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/aquaticdreamsg/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Altum_lover76 View Post
    By the way, Benny, was it you that i saw at aquameadows just now?
    Nope. Haven't been there in a while as it's off my usual route.

Was hoping to go back one day as I remember the shop as an interesting selection of plants and wood. Fairly spacious inside too.

Better beg, borrow or steal a digital camera! We want to see the new setup!!

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smile My virgin Vivarium

Ok Ok.

I think i better go and t-loan one from office first.

By the way, the tank confirm set up will be 2 ft x 1 ft x 18"(LxBxH).

Wanted to get a 2ft by 2ft cube by it will cost be a whopping $2++.

Not prepare to spend so much yet.

Cheers!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The bigger the tank and the taller the tank you can afford, the better it will be for the frog.

Anyway, since you are keeping teh White's Tree Frog, you can save a lot of money just collecting the mosses and plants you see on the road side/drains... The frog can be heavy and they can destroy then plants when they sit on them... It will be expensive to keep buying new plants to replenish...

Also, make sure the plants are well establised and rooting and growing before introducing the frog (more than a month's time). Else, the plant(s) will find it difficult to survuive, establish and grow...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

My virgin Vivarium

Okie friend.

Will take note.

Cheers!!
    Last edited by Justikanz; 29th Jan 2007 at 16:21. Reason: Removing immediate quotation

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smile My virgin Vivarium(update)

Just came back from a garden stroll with family so took the chance to go and scrap off some moss from the soil. Wonder if they are suitable for use. will try to post the development of the tank earliest by this coming monday.

Earlier in the afternoon, went to bouna vsita and clementi aquarium. saw many intersting driftwood (DW) but they are too big for my 2 ft... .

Be going to Pasir Ris drive 12 and Lim Chu Kang this saturday to "shop shop"

Cheers!!
    Last edited by Justikanz; 31st Jan 2007 at 11:02. Reason: Specify road names so readers know where you are talking about :)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Some pictures of your project and collection(s) would be nice...
    Last edited by Justikanz; 31st Jan 2007 at 13:16.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smile My virgin Vivarium(update)

What porjects and collection? Models or aquatics?

Will post the developments earliest by moonday when i got hold of the camera.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smile My virgin Vivarium(update with pics)

Dear all, as promised, these are the pics.

Cheers!!
    Last edited by Justikanz; 6th Feb 2007 at 12:55. Reason: Fix gallery link

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast