Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PFK Fishnews: Galaxy rasbora under threat

Feed Icon PFK Fishnews: Galaxy rasbora under threat

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    More...

* This thread is an item from Practical Fishkeeping Magazine website's Fish News RSS feed, brought to you by courtesy of AQ's RSS Feed Poster Robot. *

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Do click the link above and read more. There are pictures of the habitat too.

Just six months since its discovery, the soon-to-be-described Galaxy rasbora, is facing the threat of being wiped out by the aquarium trade, a distributor has warned.

The brightly coloured cyprinid from Myanmar, which was first introduced into the hobby in September 2006, has been collected so heavily that catches of the species are down to just a few dozen fish per day.

AquariCORP's Kamphol Udomritthiruj, who introduced the species to the hobby, announced on Petfrd.com that a recent trip to the species' habitat had revealed that the new species was already under threat.

Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Been meaning to post this but couldn't get to.

Such a shame. It will be good to stop buying them for now until whatever is left can hopefully recover. So whoever that owns them, please treat them with loving tender care, and try to breed them if you can.

Does this mean that the Rosy loach - Yunnanilus sp. - which is found in sympatric is in danger too? Sigh, I have them with me as well.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hmmm
    anyone in Singapore successful in breeding them care to share their success story?
    It's simple...but no one said it will be easy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    http://www.aquamoss.net/Articles/Mic...-sp-Galaxy.htm
    I think quite a few locals had successfully bred them.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    I didn't buy them.. because i wanted to see what would happen..
    Last edited by Justikanz; 7th Feb 2007 at 12:49. Reason: 'cos'

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    Someone in our group has managed to breed them successfully twice so far.
    Eric

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Some of the LFS are selling them really really cheap(As cheap as commmon farm bred fish). So I wonder if these are captive bred.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just thinking out loud here, but would a charity run where we can get people to donate back their galaxies to their original environment to re-establish their population, would that help? We could contact AquariCORP's Kamphol Udomritthiruj and ask for his help. I figured since we as aquarists also have responsibility to the environment and I really doubt nobody knows their fishes as well as us, simply becuase for our love of it.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    provided that their habitat is left alone.
    No point if fish are put back on one side and at the other end someone is catching/poaching themfor their own interest.

anyway IMO, though breeding them may save them from being wiped out. However it's really sad to see their own natural enviornment gone. And the ability to breed them as commercial fish definitely does not justify the negligence and lack of concern for their natural habitat.
    Last edited by Quixotic; 8th Feb 2007 at 13:19. Reason: Removing immediate quote
    It's simple...but no one said it will be easy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan View Post
    Some of the LFS are selling them really really cheap(As cheap as commmon farm bred fish). So I wonder if these are captive bred.
    I highly doubt so judging from the feedbacks in the various forums. In fact, not very much is known about these fishes, including reproduction. There were even speculations that these fishes came from acidic waters, but proven to be incorrect as the latest information revealed that they are found in alkaline waters.

The problem is not the reintroduction but loss of habitat. If there isn't a habitat, we wouldn't be able to reintroduce them at all.

The ability to breed them commercially is not to justify the negligence and lack of concern for their natural habitat. It is to offer an alternative to the hobbyist who wants this fish and therefore, ensures that their numbers in the wild is viable with less demand of wild fishes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Their natural environment has already been discovered and being exploited. Eventually it will be destroyed along with the native species, in the sake of progress. So the ideal path(sadly) in my view now would be commercial breeding if we were to preserve the species.

By the way,I saw the saturday's paper ad by the big fish shop in Jln Kayu. They were selling 50pcs per bag of galaxies. At the rate they go, I'm not suprised to see an empty stream.
    Last edited by bryan; 8th Feb 2007 at 17:06.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Surely something can be done? Does this mean it is the end of them, that they are going to functionally extinct because some guy found them cute enough to be in the trade less than 1/2 a year ago? If this method of thinking is to presist, imagine the other parts of the world for all the flora and fauna.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Very surprised and sad to see this. A lot of effort on conservation of land animlas but aquatic???? Or am I just ignorant?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    taygu, sorry, don't exactly understand what you mean. Do you mean to say that there is more being done for conservation of others but less on aquatic faunas?

The habitat is threatened because of our demands for the fishes. So the least we can do about this, pending further assessment (and hence subsequent conservation efforts), is to stop buying the fishes until they are bred commercially.

Do the right thing on our part, however small. Sometimes, you'd be surprised how much a little difference makes.

Hopefully, this will stop the activities in around the habitat enough, for them to recover. However, I think that they will eventualy have to be farm bred to satisfy our demands, otherwise there will be no end to the overfishing of them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi, yup and I also understand and agreed that human is always the cause of it.

What I meant on the conservation is if you compare to the land animal, there are countries that bought land just to reserve the jungle for some endangered species and you always see it in the documentaries like animal planets, discovery channels etc.. Awareness is so much higher for land animals comaring to fresh aquatic faunas.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well so now we know. I won't be buying any of them until there are farm-bred specimens.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    my goodness, i did not realise the impact of our purchase habits. I myself just bought a group of these beauties a few days back, and as much as i would like to increase the size of my collection, i think i would refrain from that after reading this thread. there is often a conflict between the desire to own a piece of nature and the destructions that follow these desires. I do hope awareness on species preservation can be spread to ensure a more harmonious balance between our hobbies and the natural environment, especially since its our love for nature that has made us pick up this hobby.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    *cough cough* native species need help too *cough*

Though i agree... there's no point in saving the fish if it's habitat is destroyed. Anyone up for a Kamphol Udomritthiruj biotope?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Yes, we know native species need help too but those are another subject to discuss as the situations aren't the same.

The habitat may not totally destroyed beyond redemption, although the signs are not well. Nature has amazing abilities to recover by themselves if left alone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast