Images
    Country
    Singapore

air pump for planted tank ?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi guys, anyone of u here uses airpump for the planted tank ?

lets say you are using a soleniod and CO2 input is off at night, would you use airpump to supplement the O2 ?

Cause i just had a big fright just now.
    Waking up to see all my fauna gasping for oxygen and some not even moving...

also my manual regulator aint working well, cant really control the number of bubbles accurately... by using a soleniod i can control the bubbles accurately right ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Principle of a manual regulator & soleniod works the same, except, for a soleniod with a timer = automated CO2 feed into the tank during a period of "X" hours. You won't need to have the knob turned on/off and yes, the control of the bubble per second rate is more accurate.

Manual regulators need you to turn on/off the knob daily to adjust the bubble per second in the bubble counter.

It might be that your faulty regulator is actually releasing CO2 into your tank without you knowing. I suggest you get the current regulator checked or purchase a working manual regulator or change it to a solenoid to prevent future "shocks".

Maybe until you check out the regulator issue, dropping an airstone after the photo period might be a wise choice.
    visit my photo albums @ flickr!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by grey_fox View Post
    Principle of a manual regulator & soleniod works the same, except, for a soleniod with a timer = automated CO2 feed into the tank during a period of "X" hours. You won't need to have the knob turned on/off and yes, the control of the bubble per second rate is more accurate.

Manual regulators need you to turn on/off the knob daily to adjust the bubble per second in the bubble counter.

It might be that your faulty regulator is actually releasing CO2 into your tank without you knowing. I suggest you get the current regulator checked or purchase a working manual regulator or change it to a solenoid to prevent future "shocks".

Maybe until you check out the regulator issue, dropping an airstone after the photo period might be a wise choice.
    thanks man, most likely i will not keep any livestocks inside for a while until i get the solenoid... =/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I use an airpump at night 1 hour after the lights are off and off the airpump 2 hours before the CO2 comes in.

I am doing that as I do notice that the fishes gasps for air in the morning. Meaning that at night, the plants are competing for oxygen as well.

When lights are on, the fishes are breathing normally.
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just have some moderate surface movement so that the O2 would not get depleted after the photoperiod. You might need a tad more CO2 during the photoperiod but you would not have issues with low O2.

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger