Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: New Tank!!

New Tank!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey Folks,

Just started my first saltwater tank!! It's a 46gal bowfront with a Marineland 1140 powerhead right now.. Will be adding a Magnum 350 Pro canister filter on Monday.. Just thought I'd share and warn you that the questions are going to start rolling in, LOL

The desk is being restored, so it kinda looks like junk in the picture, but don't worry.. It'll look better soon
    LOL
    I''m going crazy, but that''s okay.. They know me there..

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi oleta,
    welcome to the dark side.. dun worry abt the questions.. just post them.. we try our best to answer them...
    in the meanwhile, do read the post which i highlighted under FAQ...
    []
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Thanks, Kelstorm []

Here's my first question:

What benefits are there of having a DSB over crushed coral?? I prefer the look of crushed coral, but have heard varying opinions on the use of DSB at another board.. What do you folks think??

Thanks for any help..

crush coral dun do any good besides the look. but DSB can lower ur nitrates n so u wont need to worry abt it. however DSB requires abit of space. olso the results may vary.mine werks but it dosent werk in nivlac's tank.
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

Thanks, Spiff

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    Spiff, although you are a marine expert, must say, crushed coral does do something..it raises the pH...
    Mez
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Good point, Mez.. I have read that crushed coral substrate helps to keep the pH higher and more stable.. However, where I live the tap water comes at a pH of 8.0 already so I've got it pretty good in that case..

Hihi,

I beg to differ. The notion that CC can raise pH is certainly very doubtful. although CC are essentially calcium carbonate, it is in a very stable form unlike the chelated form. To even begin getting any carbonate out of it, we need a pH of below 7 to start to dissolve it. That is a pH unthinkable in our tanks. Even with the case of using argonite sand which is more easily dissolvable as our sandbed, the sand gets coated rather quickly and slows down the dissolving considerabily. Hence, CC does and will not contribute in raising pH in normal circumstances. One other bad point is, CC traps detritus very efficiently which is BAD!

Hope this helps!

Cedric,

Do bottom scavengers, such as hermits and shrimp, help keep the detrius from becoming too much?? I had planned to gravel vacuum the crushed coral every other water change.. Well, not gravel vac in the sense that I do with my fw tanks, but still clean it up a bit..

The tank is now up to 45 pounds of crushed coral and I'm wanting to add 10 pounds of live sand on top.. Any opinions??

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    IMO, CC will provide the ph buffer for the water rather than raise the ph.. unless, like what cedric had mentioned, your tank ph drops like mad..

i dun really recommend vaccuming the gravel.. especially if u have a DSB.. and to have something to "stir" up the gravel.. u can consider using a goby..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.