Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: What's that black hair-like stuff growing on my plants ??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What's that black hair-like stuff growing on my plants ??

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi folks,

I recently notice some of my plants are infected by black hair-like stuff growing on them. Some of these plants are anubias, "coin" plant and eelgrass. Is that the dread black beard algae ?? How can I remove them ? Read somewhere that SAE will eat them. My Otos, Yamato, flying fox and chinese/albino algae eater seem to avoid them.

Thks.

I simply cut them away.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    I think it is called Black Beard Algae, BBA. MOST DREADED algae.
    Need to remove any infected leaves quickly.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    increase water change frequency......how many yamatoes do you have ..........Get 1in SAEs and about 6 of them.....
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/5/2002 12:07:03 PM

I think it is called Black Beard Algae, BBA. MOST DREADED algae.
    Need to remove any infected leaves quickly.
    ----------------
    shrimps are quite effective... but MuSt infected leaves be removed? what if the algae on the leaves are like eaten till they appear to be black dots... must they still be removed???

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    best to remove ALL infected leaves to prevent it from spreading.. siphon any dirt from the gravel surface

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi there,

Let's see ... my tank is 2 feet. I have 2 SAE, 2 flying foxes, 2 loaches, 2 otos, 1 yamato and 1 corydoras as cleaners. Is it enough ? I have 54W of light.

Should I reduce my light and also stop liquid fertilization and feeding ? I notice green algae grow very fast on my glass too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/8/2002 2:11:21 PM

Hi there,

Let's see ... my tank is 2 feet. I have 2 SAE, 2 flying foxes, 2 loaches, 2 otos, 1 yamato and 1 corydoras as cleaners. Is it enough ? I have 54W of light.

Should I reduce my light and also stop liquid fertilization and feeding ? I notice green algae grow very fast on my glass too.
    ----------------
    54watts for a 2ft is okie, imo, u shld reduce yr feeding, especially when all yr fishes are algae eaters or bottom feeders.. oso, stop or reduce fertilizering.. and of coz, u shld change water more frequently

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    simon, the last time my discus tank got infected by BBA, I stopped fertilising the water and still the BBA was growing.....at the end i started fertilising to balance the nutrients in the water, dumped in 80 yamatoes and 10 SAEs, removed as much infected leaves and now it is almost gone.....

with the 5 day regime on dennerle's range of fert, the green algae that used to grow on my glass has reduced alot, and the frequency of me scrapping the glass wall is once every 1.5 months which used to be every week...minimum
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/7/2002 1:01:30 AM

best to remove ALL infected leaves to prevent it from spreading.. siphon any dirt from the gravel surface
    ----------------
    what if they stop spreading but still lying on my leaves??? and why the siphoning off dirt from the gravel??? what has that got to do with the BBA??? thanks!!!
    []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I think alot of us do agree that water change will help reduce algae so that I recomend too. Remove manually as much as you can. Would also consider the lighting period. How long is you lighting time? Also, reduce/stop ferterlization temp. at moment.. it might help.

Another way you can consider is try the 'siesta' lighting e.g. if your lighting 12 hrs, you can have 6 hrs of light and 6hrs dark and followed by another 6hrs light again. This might disrupt the growth of the algae.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]