Feedback Score
    Country
    India

Anubias barteri var nana question

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have tied an Anubias barteri var nana on a piece of driftwood that is kept inclined in the tank. The plant is doing well and is coming out with a new leaf every now and then. I suppose now the rhizome will start growing too. My question is does the rhizome grow along the wood in an inclined way (like terrestrial creepers) or will the new growth be horizontal and therefore hanging off the wood?
    Thanks in advance
    Sudipto

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    my experience is that it grow both ways =)
    but usually more like a "creeper"

Feedback Score
    Country
    India
    Thanks Sam. That's reassuring and gives me lots of flexibility in shaping the scape. Now another question - I got a coffefolia whose crampon roots were really very small (but very strong looking). So when I tied the rhizome on the driftwood it was kind of anchored and floating (it still is) - as I didn't press it down to the wood fearing that it will break the tender crampon roots. I am hoping the crampon roots will grow down towards the wood and get a hold soon and eventually pull the rhizome down too. Is this fine and will it happen in this way? Can these plants take their nutrients from the water column? For all practical purposes the plant is not touching any wood right now but it is also not showing any signs of discomfort so far (about a week now).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    as long as the rhizome is not buried into the gravel, it will absorb nutrients, whether clinging to the wood or not.
    actually it is ok to tie the coffeefolia slightly more tight to the wood, no harm done, the rhizome is actually quite hardy and not brittle.
    so i suggest you to tie them to the wood tighter.
    i just did that to split my coffeefolia onto 2 other driftwoods. =)
    happy nanas keeping!
    i am still waiting to take my petite from a bro here, and on the look out for nanas golden! =)

Quote Originally Posted by Sudipto View Post
    Thanks Sam. That's reassuring and gives me lots of flexibility in shaping the scape. Now another question - I got a coffefolia whose crampon roots were really very small (but very strong looking). So when I tied the rhizome on the driftwood it was kind of anchored and floating (it still is) - as I didn't press it down to the wood fearing that it will break the tender crampon roots. I am hoping the crampon roots will grow down towards the wood and get a hold soon and eventually pull the rhizome down too. Is this fine and will it happen in this way? Can these plants take their nutrients from the water column? For all practical purposes the plant is not touching any wood right now but it is also not showing any signs of discomfort so far (about a week now).

Feedback Score
    Country
    India
    Nanas are a lazy aquarist's (like me) dream come true. I love them. I think somehow I find them similar to me in character. No fuss, no need for any special attention, can adapt to any situation yet artistic. It's virtually impossible getting them here in India. My wife recently went to Singapore and brought me some coffefolia, calidofolia and anubias barteri var barteri from Karin Leow's Fareastern Aquatic. I wanted some afzeli, petite and gold too but Karin didn't have them. Let me see.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    think it will be quite difficult to ship over to india right ?
    strict rules on the exportation of plants/animals

Feedback Score
    Country
    India
    I don't know about rules in Singapore but generally speaking import rules are always stricter than export. Because when you are importing plants or other living organisms your eco-system is at risk. With exports there is no such risk. You could always ask a courier company and they will tell you the rules.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Perhaps export is only a problem if the thing is protected locally.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudipto View Post
    I don't know about rules in Singapore but generally speaking import rules are always stricter than export. Because when you are importing plants or other living organisms your eco-system is at risk. With exports there is no such risk. You could always ask a courier company and they will tell you the rules.
    Agree, as long as the shop able to pack the plants in such professional way then we can arrange the delivery using 'hand carry' courier service.
    Although it will come in more expensive charges but it will arrive to our door very soon.
    For me Singapore still the paradise to find aquatic plants as well as aquascaping equipments

Feedback Score
    Country
    India
    Singapore indeed is a paradise for a lot of things. But hand carry courier is not practical when one is bringing in plants to India from Singapore. Might as well go personally in the morning and come back evening - . Most large professional shops can pack so damn well that it comes safe in bulk courier also.