Advertise here

Advertise here
    Any good solution to BlueGreenAlgae ???

ThankYou

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    antibiotics are a last resort
    fast growing plants and siphoning up the BGA coupled with regular water changes is a much better idea

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    antibiotics r u refering to those small packet of yellow powder?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i doubt if anyone knows what's inside the yellow powder
    try maracyn 2

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Agreed with DEA, aviod antibiotics is possible else you might need to re-cycle your tank again.

Just siphon off the BGA, clean the filter and do some water changes.
    My Apisto Keeping Diary
    Apistogramma agassizii, Apistogramma bitaeniata "Careiro", Apistogramma brevis, Apistogramma elizabethae, Apistogramma eremnopyge, Apistogramma sp. "Miua", Dicrossus filamentosus

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    How/Why does 'clean the filter' help combat BlueGreenAlgae ???

Thanx

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, in case some of the BGA are struck in your filter...
    My Apisto Keeping Diary
    Apistogramma agassizii, Apistogramma bitaeniata "Careiro", Apistogramma brevis, Apistogramma elizabethae, Apistogramma eremnopyge, Apistogramma sp. "Miua", Dicrossus filamentosus

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    isnt maracyn 2 a gram negative antibotic?....coz if it is then it will be biosafe.....is cynobacteria gram negative, yimin?
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Why would pppl want to use antibiotics when BGA can be got ridden easily by hand? Wish BBA is as easy as BGA.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    since when are there gram negative antibiotics?
    this just means whether the bacterium has an outer cell membrane (negative means it does have one)

in this case erythromycin shows wide spectrum antimicrobial activity
    biofilter friendly or not i cannot say
    because i've never tried it
    my guess is the MIC for BGA is lower than that for the 'friendly' bacteria in your tanks
    but of course if you OD on it it'll blast them to hell and back

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/7/2002 1:29:29 AM

Why would pppl want to use antibiotics when BGA can be got ridden easily by hand? Wish BBA is as easy as BGA.
    ----------------
    ----------------
    On 1/6/2002 12:01:54 PM

antibiotics are a last resort
    fast growing plants and siphoning up the BGA coupled with regular water changes is a much better idea
    ----------------
    seconded

Feedback Score
    I had an outbreak of BGA that I suspect was due to filter neglect. So first, clean out your filter, do a water change, and scrape away as much as you can manually. What worked like magic for me was to turn off the lights for a couple of days, then I removed my snail-eating female betta, threw in some red ramshorn snails (most any Planorbarius type will do; NOT Colombian ramshorn!) and left the lights off until the snails ate every last bit of the BGA (you can help with removal, too). Approximately a dozen small/medium snails got rid of all the BGA in my 5.5-gallon (20L?) tank within a week. But unfortunately, I had gone as far as ripping out all my plants before I thought of adding the snails, and if this didn't work, I was going to resort to using Erythromycin. If your tank is densely planted and there's a lot of BGA adhered to them, it might take a while longer, but the job will get done. Add more snails to speed things up. Note that this will not work if you have loaches, puffers, and other snail-eating fish in your tank. I decided that the snails were far more beneficial in my plant tank and never put the betta back in

Hope you win the battle against the BGA. It's certainly nasty stuff!

By the way, DEA, thanks for the hydra advice. Actually, I bought three tiny little fish called Rasbora maculata (dwarf rasbora) and I'm going to see if they might snack on the hydra. I also got some guppies to add to another tank, but I can move them to the hydra-infested tank later if the rasboras prove to be slackers. Thanks!

-gnome

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for all the help/advice
    Appreciate
    And there go my WAR .......

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Just sharing my experience.

I have been battling with BGA since Oct'01. The smell is terrible. It lingers on your hands even after washing with soap.

Even water change and massive trimming didn't help for me. So finally in mid Dec'01, I tried the erythromycin (got from my doctor relative). I dosed 700mg for my 65g tank. This is about half of what Karen Randall mentioned (200mg per 10 gallon) at http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Algae/algae-randall.html

I still continue with my weekly water change and I am glad that the algae broke down and disappeared in about 2 weeks. I am so glad that there is no more disgusting smell.

As for the fish and plant, I did not notice any difference. Probably it is heavily planted and any build up of ammonia is quickly used up by the plants.

I personally think BGA is more dreadful than BBA.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi gnome, where did u get those rasboras?

Feedback Score
    Well, I'm the oddball member here, from the U.S. I get virtually all my fish from a wonderful store called Albany Aquarium, here in California. Albany is right on the other side of the Bay from San Francisco. If you guys from Singapore are ever visiting the S.F. Bay Area, you must visit Albany Aquarium. It's funny - they get their plants shipped from Singapore! Oriental Aquariums, to be exact. And they're the best place to get plants, around here.

So, to answer your question, wks, Albany Aquarium is where I got my rasboras. I'm afraid they seem to show no interest in dining on the hydra, either. One of them nipped at a small one a few times, but didn't manage to hurt it in the slightest...

I probably shouldn't have gotten these rasboras, considering they need quite acidic conditions (pH of 5.0-6.0), but I'd never seen such tiny rasboras, before. And they were so cute!

-gnome

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi gnome

welcome to our forum......there are quite a number of our friends from the US, UK, and Australia as well here....hope you do stay.....[]
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/8/2002 1:05:02 AM

I'd never seen such tiny rasboras, before. And they were so cute!

-gnome
    ----------------
    wat species of rasboras? mosquito?

Feedback Score
    David, thank you very much for the warm welcome! I will indeed stick around... I like it, here.

Simon, the rasboras I bought the other day were R. maculata, commonly referred to as "dwarf rasboras" or "pygmy rasboras" or "spotted rasboras." They're the smallest of the rasboras, only reaching 1" (2.5 cm). Unfortunately, I've already lost one, and they need very acidic conditions (pH of 5.0-6.0) to really thrive. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before the other two also go belly-up. It's a shame that they're so delicate... Such pretty little fish! They're probably best kept in a species tank or with other small, non-aggressive fish that have similar requirements.

I apologize - I guess this is getting a little too far off the topic of BGA. Just to reiterate what I wrote in the original post: red ramshorn snails... They're just the hardest-working little critters. I consider them a valuable asset in a plant tank. Try them with the lights off for a few days to get rid of BGA. It'll work.

-gnome

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    what, not a word for me? i'm miffed
    that's it, no more emails

simon, gnome is keeping r. maculata, the small ones you had in your minitank
    naomi, the snails eat bGa? cyanobacteria?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast