Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Will hose length and diameter affect filter flow rate?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Will hose length and diameter affect filter flow rate?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

This is the my 1st post in this forum.

I would like to know if reducing hose lenght and increasing its diameter would improve my filter flowrate.

I currently have my filter place on the left side of my tank cabinet and chiller on the right side (outside cabinet). Filter inlet is on the right corner of my tank. So water will travel all the way to the filter on the left, which will pump it to chiller on the right. And then return to my tank through a co2 reactor on the left.

Got the picture ? Water travel from right to left and to right again and back to left.

I'm thinking of shortening the hose length by moving my filter to the right cabinet. And also widen the chiller outlet diameter. If all these changes has no effect on flow rate then I'll let it remain.

Thanks.
    Alex

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    shortening the hose length will definitely increase the flowrate

as for the diameter, i have never tried before so no idea
    although technically wider tube should reduce flow instead

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The connection should be from canister filter to co2 reactor to chiller and back to the tank.

Why co2 reactor before chiller?
    The mixed water and co2 will have a longer path to the tank as it will go through the chiller. The longer distance will help the co2 to be absorbed into the water.

Why chiller after co2 reactor?
    The shorter route for the cold water exiting the chiller will prevent any temperature increase so that the tank will have optimal cold water from the chiller.

Hope this helps!
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for advice, will move filter position this weekend.

The reason why I place the filter on the left side cabinet is becos I have fixed all electrical power outlet on the right during the tank setup. Water and electricity don't mix. But need to make the change to improve flow rate into chiller.

As for placing co2 reactor before chiller, that a good idea I never thought of. But might require an external reactor. I rather increase the dosing. Besides, co2 is not that expensive.