Images
    Country
    United_States

Unhappy Can ick spread?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    A few minutes ago, one of my goldfish died. It has whitespots on its side, and I was wondering if it was ick, and if so, will it spread?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by bettasrcool_01 View Post
    A few minutes ago, one of my goldfish died. It has whitespots on its side, and I was wondering if it was ick, and if so, will it spread?
    hello bettasrcool,

if it was ick that killed your goldfish, then it would most probably spread as it is now active in your water. i had an ick outbreak once and lost a few fishes too. however medication in the lfs (i used sera ones) are quite effective in treating ick, but take note that ick can only be destroyed at a certain stage of their life cycle.. you can find alot of info on ick in this forum as well.

all the best!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes! It depends from fish to fish. I have ich from my briggittaes, within 3 days, axelrody ruby and red wipe out, briggittaes as well. However, galaxies, oto and other wild fish remain unscatched. However over long period, ich will reproduce and the fish will die if you do not take any actions.
    Cheers,
    Andrew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    It has whitespots on its side...
    Where exactly are the whitespots? On the side of the gills or on the body itself?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    Well, it was all over the body, and yet, the day before he looked fine. It's been about 24 hours and my other one hasen't died yet. Or shown signs of(ich is it? or is it spelled ick?).

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, it was all over the body, and yet, the day before he looked fine. It's been about 24 hours and my other one hasen't died yet. Or shown signs of(ich is it? or is it spelled ick?).
    Hi Bettarcool,
    It is ICH. It spreads like all other disease but what makes it spread faster is your water conditions and fish conditions. If water quality sulks or fish is under high duress, usually the whole school will be infected in 1 day. Luckily for us, mortality rate for it is not very high and there are alot of medication available. There are exceptions though, namely loaches which are notoriously difficult to cure.
    I will not dwell into life cycles but Methlene blue and salt are one of the best cures around and contrary to popular belief, raising the temperature does not kill it but only hasten the protozoan's cycle.
    If your goldfish is from the previous thread, it does not seem to be ICH. Goldfish are also seldom afflicted by it. But I may be wrong.
    Hope the information helps and good luck.
    Something about the water & the fishes that calms me down.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    Ok, thank you. It could have just been what he looked liked dead....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Okay, if that is the case, then it could be Ich. Just want to be sure as there are instances where Ich is confused with the breeding tubercles of the goldfish.