Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

advice needed from experts

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    i have a 1.5 by 1 by 0.8 feet tank. i think it's almost a 8 gallon tank. I can't afford to have a bigger tank because of space constrains and toddler constrains.

currently i have 2 hang filters, one driving the undergravel, the other is just a normal setup. Plus i have a Nutrafin CO2 bio system going through a ceramic diffuser placed just below the output of the larger hang filter. Surface ripple is minimal as i have isolated the output with a piece of plastic such that the downpour of the hang filter does not cause surface aggitation. "substrate" consist of only gravels with a thin layer of those fertilizing sticks in the middle. 3WPG PL lighting.

Firstly what are your comments about the setup for the planted tank?

Next, this is what i intend to do in about 2 week's time. i intend to unearth the undergravel put about 2-3 cm of actual aquatic soil (to be given to me by a friend, not sure what brand) and the cover the soil with my current gravel. The two hang filters will be replaced by an external filter with ceramic rings and a spongue. I don't think i need a canister unless there is a mini-sized canister for small tanks. the output of the canister will either blow at a ceramic diffuser or go through an external reactor for the CO2. i plan to keep the Nutrafin bio system for the time being but plan to upgrade to a proper co2 system in the future. I might look for some device to regulate the low pressure and some system to store the excess co2 generated in the night.

So based on what i intend to, how does it sound to you?
    any recommendation for the new filter system?
    should i use a reactor or a diffuser? is the filter flow rate sufficient for the reactor?

lastly, certain plants generate a lot of o2 during photosynthesis and they can be observed pearling the o2 gas. What kind of plants are these and what are the conditions needed for them to pearl like crazy?

thanks everyone for reading!!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The setup sounds like one of my first tanks. It's alright actually, I could grow glosso with similar specs to yours.

You have to consider carefully, because the substrate is the "base" of a planted tank; ruin it and you have to start the tank all over again.

If you go ahead with your plan, you have to treat the tank as though it was newly set up.

You can try the Eden 501, it's a small version of a cannistor for smaller tanks. It fits the 1.5ft perfectly imho, but some like stronger flow. I'd opt to keep your existing hang-ons.

A diffusor will be sufficient for your tank. Reactors require good water flow and are usually big and unsightly. Diffusors are small, good looking, and in small tanks they don't have the problem of insufficient dispersion of CO2.

Any plant can bubble like crazy, but Riccia is one of the plants who do so readily, as well as Java fern imho. They need everything to be good: light, CO2, fertilisation basically.