Country
    Singapore

Algae in new tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hihi,

Ok, my previous setup infested with brush algae and hair algae IF I turn on CO2... if I did not turn on CO2 for few days, those algae stop growing.... anyway one day I dunno y the gauge goes haywire and release too much CO2 and when I came home, all my fishes turns white and rot....so I redo my setup.... throw everything, except the tank... clean it, sterilise it with bleach... same thing with filter and CO2 stone and airstone.

now my new setup use only lapis sand (no substrate), CO2 and 36W PL light.
    I start planting glosso, some "clean" spikey from from my office tank and HC.
    After 4 days now, the white rock start to have green algae, the sand starts turning green, the glosso and HC are not growing and turning brown.
    I have add on some potassium and nitrate to the tank on first day. CO2 injection is 3bps and lighting from 8am to 6pm. I have not put in any fauna yet.

What went wrong? What should I observe?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi Alex,
    Lighting period is too long for new setup. Your plants are not in full gear yet.
    Try reducing your lighting period to 6 hours. Get some otos to help you clean up before the situation becomes worse. Otos are good because they eat algae that's not really sticky. eg brown algae and new/young green algae that just starting to become GSA.

It would help if you use a sponge to clean the inside glass panels and do a large water change. Running a UV Sterilizer would also mitigate the problem before you get full blown green water.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You have issues with nutrients and CO2. Plants need more than just NO3 and K+....one thing missing the whole plant down regulates uptake from CO2 right down. (great idea? No, plant growth slows down to a halt eventually and algae starts to take over.). CO2...consider the drop checker / indicator method with KH ref solution (do CO2 adjustments slowly!!).

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger