Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Recommendation for shrimp-safe fert

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I'd like to get recommendations for shrimp-safe ferts i can use for a shrimp nano tank since i read that some ferts can affect shrimps due to presence of copper. My tank is doing well and having more shrimplets but plants are suffering.

My tank is a 1.3ft nano tank without co2. Used PL light on for average of 10 hrs daily. Average temp of tank is 28 degrees. Tank contains only moss plants (Taiwan, Moss ball, willow and Java) as heard they are easy to grow and pretty hardy. Decided to finally look for ferts as notice my moss is having more brown strands by the week especially for Taiwan moss. Tank has been set up for about 1 month plus and notice my moss is growing very slowly.

Suggestions?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by kaym View Post
    I'd like to get recommendations for shrimp-safe ferts i can use for a shrimp nano tank since i read that some ferts can affect shrimps due to presence of copper. My tank is doing well and having more shrimplets but plants are suffering.

My tank is a 1.3ft nano tank without co2. Used PL light on for average of 10 hrs daily. Average temp of tank is 28 degrees. Tank contains only moss plants (Taiwan, Moss ball, willow and Java) as heard they are easy to grow and pretty hardy. Decided to finally look for ferts as notice my moss is having more brown strands by the week especially for Taiwan moss. Tank has been set up for about 1 month plus and notice my moss is growing very slowly.

Suggestions?
    I have started thread previously asking same question as I was suffering heavy shrimp casualties with LushGro ferts. I have switched to Seachem range and have had zero casualty since. I now have 3 kinds of shrimps flourishing in my tanks.
    All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Which Seachem product did you use? I understand theres 4-5 products under the Seachem brand for ferts such as Seachem Iron/Excel etc. Would just getting Seachem Flourish be enough? Dose once a week enough?

Where to get Seachem ferts? C328 / Polyart sell them? And how much?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Which Seachem product did you use? I understand theres 4-5 products under the Seachem brand for ferts such as Seachem Iron/Excel etc. Would just getting Seachem Flourish be enough? Dose once a week enough?

Where to get Seachem ferts? C328 / Polyart sell them? And how much?
    I'm using Seachem Flourish and Phosphorus, bought from NA. As to amount, depends on your amount of plants. I basically increase dosage till plants are growing optimally without algae... and fauna are not stressed...
    All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm using LUSH-Grow KNO3, KH2PO4 and Aqua for 6 months. I'm breeding Chery and no casualty. Dosage wise, I'm following EI. What shrimps do you have? Some species are more sensitive than other

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Strange, Bybloz mentioned his ferts affecting his shrimps but not Shadow's.
    Whats EI? At the moment i'm breeding cherry shrimps. In the other tank i have Malayan and Yamato. Can Malayan withstand higher temps than Cherry? I notice Cherry Shrimp begin to die off when temp goes slightly over 30. Yamato is definitely hardy.

Anyway, does C328 or PolyArt sell seachem? How much costs per bottle?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Unless you overdose heavily, I don't see an issue with nutrient dosing for plants. Shrimp keeping folks don't seem to understand the basis on focusing on the "ecosystem" of the home they are providing the shrimps with. When the plants do well, they remove the NH3/NH4 from the system and provide loads of oxygen as a by product as compared to bacteria which consumes oxygen in order to convert NH3 to NO3.

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Strange, Bybloz mentioned his ferts affecting his shrimps but not Shadow's.
    Something else is at work here and not the nutrients. They tend to point the finger at the nutrients as the scapegoat.

Whats EI? At the moment i'm breeding cherry shrimps. In the other tank i have Malayan and Yamato. Can Malayan withstand higher temps than Cherry? I notice Cherry Shrimp begin to die off when temp goes slightly over 30. Yamato is definitely hardy.
    Do you have enough surface current? My bet is low O2 that is the issue.

Regards,
    Peter Gwee
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    What do you mean by they remove NH3/NH4 from the tank?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    plants absorb (eat) NH3/NH4 to grow. NH3 is toxic to shrimps and fishes, so you may want to make sure plants grow well before introduce shrimps.

I think Lush grow product that I used does not contain copper, so it should be save for shrimps unless over dose. EI is stand for Estimate Index, is a way of dosing fert. You can try to search on the fert section, been discuss for few times.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i'm also using Lushgro product for CRS.
    no casualties

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Methinks fert OD killing shrimps is probably not true. I do 50% water changes every 5-7 days, dose as per instructions on the bottles and no shrimp deaths recorded. Cherry and CRS included.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung