Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Hey, hey, HeY. Jen from San Francisco.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Talking Hey, hey, HeY. Jen from San Francisco.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Y'all,

I found this fabulous site when I was researching planted tanks. I just graduated from Berkeley and I am now preparing for the MCAT (applying to medical school next June) while working as a mental health counselor. I am brand new to the hobby and have decided to start with a 29 gallon South American Blackwater Dwarf Cichlid community tank. My tank is now one month old.

I am using a Hydor canister filter, a Coralife light with double 6700K/65 watt bulbs and compressed CO2 (1 bps). I am keeping the temperature between 78-80 degrees. I am using ADA Amazonia in the planted areas (about 2/3 of the tank, on the left & right sides) and ADA Bright Sand in the front and towards the back (separating the two planted areas). I have three pieces of driftwood with Java Moss and two Java Ferns. The foreground is mostly moss covered rocks, the midground has several grasses, and there are two Amazon Swords and several stem plants in the background. The Sword is growing the best, and just last week I planted the first baby and there are two more on the way!

At this point, I'm struggling with pH, NO2 as well as adding fishes into my tank. I've a separate thread for these queries so please help if you can.

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...448#post245448

Whew that was a lot!

Looking forward to hearing from everyone!

Jen
    Last edited by benny; 9th May 2007 at 10:18. Reason: Splitting post

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Jen,

Welcome to AQ!!

I've split out your queries into a separate thread so that you'll get a better response.

Do shows us pictures of your new setup when you have a chance. By the way, we have quite a few dwarf cichlid enthusiasts here as well. Have you decided which species you are going to keep?

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan
    Hi Jen.. welcome..

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Post Pics of tank in progress

Hi Y'all,

Here are some pics (camera phone, sorry for the low quality) of the tank in progress. I tried to follow a concave set-up, and I split the tank so that the ratio should be 1:1.618, with the focal point starting just left of the middle of the cave. I am planning on adding a few more caves, a holey rock, more plants and a little more dressing sand. Any suggestions are helpful and welcome!

The tank is just over five weeks old. I'm currently fighting algae (biological filtration not good enough to add algae eaters) and tiny white unidentified objects on the glass and swimming in the water. Today I siphoned out as much algae as I could and did a 50% water change (only wanted a 1/3, but got too picky with gravel vac).

Here are the stats as of now:

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0.3
    PH: 6.5
    GH: 2-2.5
    KH: 1.5-2
    CO2: 11-21
    Temp: 75

-Jen

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TheFutureDrJ; 21st May 2007 at 12:12.