Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: The Grand Hairgrass/BBA Alliance!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The Grand Hairgrass/BBA Alliance!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    is there something going on between HG and BBA? I used to have no trace of BBA (they mysteriously disappeared) until I decided to get rid of my glosso and convert to HG. The BBA made a come-back which I thought was because I've gotten rid of most of my fast growing plants.

Now I notice that these BBA do not just grow any where. In fact they DO NOT grow any where except where HG is growing. They do not grow on my Echinodorus, lotus, christmas moss and the gravel. As soon as the HG spreads to a new location, BBA would appear on the gravel at those spots!

My HG conspiring against me with the BBA? What have I done to deserve this [] [] []
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The same thing happen to me last time with HG
    Cheers!

Benetay

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    same same
    they will migrate
    but eventually you can fight it off
    just needs a while
    but i'm not sure if that can be achieved as long as you have hairgrass

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yakk!

and I was contemplating on making a grassy hillside like the grassy slope behind Nature Aquarium. To do this I was planning to set up half the tank in a series of terrace about 1.5-inch high each step and getting the HG to merge into a slope. So now I'm going to have a BBA slope as well huh? [] [] []
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

yeah I got the same prob too! so does the bba migrate to other plants sooner or later? and is it sae or yamato or pencil fish that eats them?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    me coming to similar conclusion, ergo, hairygrass which traps all kind of muck is now being replaced with APP and Glosso.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    my glosso grew so thick it trapped even more muck (although the BBA disappeared out of the blue), and you can't even part them to get at the bottom.

darrell, my HG so thick most things couldn't get near the substrate.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I also have a HG only tank.

It was BBA-free for 5 months until the last one month when BBA started to appear, though in small patches. I trimmed it away. I suspect it is due to increased feeding with frozen BW. I used to feed with freeze-fried BW. Not sure what's the difference in these two foods.

Wa -- I just measure the tank for the first time to have 40ppm NO3 and 1ppm PO4 a few days after 1/2 tank water change. Not sure if more BBA attack coming soon.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Nice tank Koah Fong

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 9/2/2002 1:44:57 AM

I also have a HG only tank.

It was BBA-free for 5 months until the last one month when BBA started to appear, though in small patches. I trimmed it away. I suspect it is due to increased feeding with frozen BW. I used to feed with freeze-dried BW. Not sure what's the difference in these two foods.

Wa -- I just measure the tank for the first time to have 40ppm NO3 and 1ppm PO4 a few days after 1/2 tank water change. Not sure if more BBA attack coming soon.
    ----------------
    i heard from a lfs boss that, with live/frozen blood worm or any
    live food the amount absorb by the fish is 50% or lower thus more poo poo from the fish. wherelse dried food will be is designed specifically for fish will be be more well absorb by the fish and thus less poo.
    dunno if its true, just for your reference.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    alamak koah fong, my tank going to look just like yours except I don't have the big wood. but was contemplating getting a big rock and tying xmas moss on the top. I even have the same rasboras [:]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Seem to me that only way to control algae is not only lower NO3 but also PO4. Got to get myself a PO4 test kit right away. But what should be the typical level for a healthy tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Recommendations for:
    NO3 5-10ppm
    PO4 0.5-1ppm
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Up CO2 was my method to get rid of BBA.

BTW, those "BBA" that grow among the HG seemed different from those on leaves of Nymphea, Vals, Hygro, etc. The actual BBA belongs to the red algae family. Recently, I just examined those algae found among the HG. They are in fact dark green.

Any of you have same observation?

BC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Dark green tufts? I get that too on my gravel. I used to get it even though I my tank was N limited. My PO4 was and still is over the 2ppm limit of my test kit.

Right now dosing KNO3 to bring my NO3 up to 5ppm, and I getting a hair/thread algae bloom. Trying to bring down the PO4 levels and see if the algae will go away.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    BC, I agree the HG hair algae looks different. The threads are slender and greenish to blackish. Those BBA on wood and broad leaves are more "meaty" and stubbier and looks blacker.