2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Life span of Otos

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    What is the life span of Otos? I been having Otos with life span for about 3 - 6 months , is it normal ?

My water paramaters does not seem to fluactuate, ph =6.5 ,temp =27-30 deg c,etc. My fishes and shrimps have been doing well in the planted tank only except the otos.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    mine seems to live more than 1 year (still there touch wood) enough though i have transfer it various times to different tanks due to moving houses.
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I've got 2 otos with me for over a year too...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    My otos are also not doing well in planted shrimps tank. My guess is because my planted tank well lit, thus no brown algae. It become skinny and then dies. I try to feed them with algae wafer but then all the shrimp eating it. I move the surviving otos to low tech tank, and it grow healthy and fat.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    mine been over 2 yrs le...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i think yr oto may be suffering from starvation. i also used to have this problem but i solve this problem when i start to keep shrimps.

i nvr feed my shrimps with algae wafer but i feed them with boiled cabbage.

i observed tat the otos start to feed on the cabbage too and they have since then alway have a round belly

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    my oto used to eat my live plants when there is no algae for them to feed on

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Eh? I don't believe that Oto's graze on live plants. Perhaps there are some microscopic algae on the leaves that it was feeding on?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Sheesh.... work is really keeping me away from my hobby
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    The more expensive the oto, the shorter it lives. I believe

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I mean the exotic ones like Zebra and Tiger oto.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Colin, not really true, I am now more successful with keeping Zebra Oto than the normal ones.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by fish_nerd View Post
    i think yr oto may be suffering from starvation. i also used to have this problem but i solve this problem when i start to keep shrimps.

i nvr feed my shrimps with algae wafer but i feed them with boiled cabbage.

i observed tat the otos start to feed on the cabbage too and they have since then alway have a round belly
    you may be right....I feed my shrimp mostly with fish food, crab cuisine and no vegie ....I though normally otos will feed to the algae on the plants so did not specially buy any food for oto..and also when my otos died ...they seems to be in starvation form.. very skinny ..can see the bones on the belly . I will try algae wafers or cabbage and monitor.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by barmby View Post
    I mean the exotic ones like Zebra and Tiger oto.
    May I know where can I find such nice otos? Been going around but no luck so far....

From experience, if the otos live passed a month... they would survive pretty long. Though they might be bought together and been through the same accalmisation period, it still happens. Quite puzzling but I'm unable to pinpoint the reason. Maybe some can take more stress than others...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am not sure why my tank, whenever I add otos or SAEs or hillstream loach, all will die within a month or two until I am left with a single one. Then this single one will soldier on for years. My single oto is in my tank for 2-3 years already, my single SAE is around for 2-years and my single hillstream loach also stay on for a year plus while the rest all disappeared within 2 months of introduction.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i have two otos ..they are doing fine..in my tank.my water ph at 6.5..but my oto always feed on my algae wafers which i feed it to my shrimps. now i scare that when they are full.. they will go lazy and don't go around eating up my tank algae....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    haiz, my oto just died after 2mths...another still ok...the thing is it had a really bloated belly...why? the other is normal & still alive

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by cairocks View Post
    I am not sure why my tank, whenever I add otos or SAEs or hillstream loach, all will die within a month or two until I am left with a single one. Then this single one will soldier on for years. My single oto is in my tank for 2-3 years already, my single SAE is around for 2-years and my single hillstream loach also stay on for a year plus while the rest all disappeared within 2 months of introduction.
    I had the exact same problem as you, but only for OTO. In fact, I have tried 2 times and both times are like that. Bought 2~3 OTOs, then only 1 will survive. The rest just disappeared ... after quite a while, the only OTO also died and then I started buying a few more OTOs and the same time happened. No idea why ..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i bought the otos from cherrylover.. maybe you could try buying some from him.. i bought two but nothing happen...very healthy and active...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by krabbie View Post
    I had the exact same problem as you, but only for OTO. In fact, I have tried 2 times and both times are like that. Bought 2~3 OTOs, then only 1 will survive. The rest just disappeared ... after quite a while, the only OTO also died and then I started buying a few more OTOs and the same time happened. No idea why ..

same here...
    i bought 3 otos but only one survives after 3 months or so...
    but the tetras and shrimps are doing fine...