Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Chiller for normal tank ?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I recently bought a Resun CL85 and set it up.

For a 5 days now, the water cannot go more than 3 degrees below the ambient temperature.

I am setting it at 25C and the room temp is around 29-31C (or somewhere around there).

Can only manage to stabilize it at 27C or so.
    Do not think is is working very well. I have to turn the fans back on to maintain the temperature below 28 (which I was almost getting with the FANs alone.

I think the CL85 is a TEM and does not need GAS ?
    I only have a Jewel 70, is the volume too much for the CL85 to handle ? Should be less than 20Gallons ?

I am trying to get the fishes to not float on the top and also the moss to grow better.

Any advise is appreciated

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It depends on the size of tank that you are trying to chill. For a large tank, a under-spec chiller would struggle to cool to lower temperatures. I dont think cl85 is TEM.

If your tank is a small one (2ft and under) then perhaps your chiller set is faulty.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    salexjared, if this is meant for normal aquarium purpose, do you actually need a chiller?

I meant if can do without it, will be the best.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    kaym, yes indeed sad to say CL85 is using TEM approach. There are posting commenting on it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thank you for the inputs.
    I think the CL85 should be able to do it for the tank that I have ? But the results are not encouraging. I am trying to find out if it is faulty. But it is releasing hot hair from the vents and so seems that it should be doing the heat exchange fine. Also checked that the flow is good enough so I am now quite sure if there is something else to check.

As my place is quite hot, the tank is hitting 30C in the afternoon, and then I introduced the FANs, it is able to bring it down to 28.5 or so. I am trying it make it more comfortable so the chiller which I chanced upon.

If it is working fine (ie can make a 5C delta), then am considering some "prawns". They seems a very nice addition.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The setup

By the way, I got the whole set ie with a canister filter + the chiller.

I was worried that my inlet (internal filter that came with the Jewel tank) was not strong enough to drive the C02 and the chiller. Also there is no filtering before going into the chiller which was not recommended.

So now I am running 2 filters for my small tank. Any problem ?
    Or should I just dismantle one. I could be disturbing the tank too much, so I am now leaving it as it unless there is advise otherwise.

Is there a case of overfiltering ? I am new and not sure about this. I just add what I like and so here I am ...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Would suggest dismantle one of the filter, and monitor the result. What is your water volume?
    Last edited by richietay; 24th May 2007 at 12:38.
    The Happiest of people don't neccessary have the best of everything;
    they just make the most of everything that comes along their way

When will there be 25 letters in the alphabets?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi can i know how much you bought your cl-85 and does it come with any warranty?? which LFs you bought it from?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Got the whole thing (CL85 with the filter) for 430. A bit on the expensive side (I think) but then ...

Got it from Qian Hu when I had a family outing. Just happen to come across it and since I was having problem with the temperature I got it to have a try.

The chiller is 1 year and the filter is 2 year warranty (I think)

I would like to go without one, but I am worried about the balance I have already established within the tank (bacteria etc).
    Will wait a while for the 2nd one to establish itself first. What do you think ?

Anyway, I think the CL85 may be suitable for a low volume tank only. I turned off the FAN for the 1st few days and the temperature actually cannot be maintained below 28C during the hotter times of the day.

My Jewel 70 should be only around 60L of water only.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Remember Ian_lim was using this cl-85, maybe can hear from his comments and advice.
    The Happiest of people don't neccessary have the best of everything;
    they just make the most of everything that comes along their way

When will there be 25 letters in the alphabets?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Seems to be working better with the FAN on (setup to be sucking air out instead of blowing in).

Now the CL85 is reading 27C on the average and my external digital is telling me 26 (sensor placed at the other corner and down at the middle of the tank. Seems to be doing better (but need to have the FAN and so need to add water regularly... Sigh...)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    from the spec CL-85 is for water volume < 60L or 14Gallon. And this is the upper limit meaning the machine will be working extremely hard if your tank is near to this limit.

Actually what size is your tank ? looks like you got yourself a underpower chiller for your tank. did you tell the saleperson the size of the tank ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    In my humble opinion, a TEC chiller is not suitable for our climate. A Cl-280 or even a CL-450 should be on your sight. The environment is heating up and a Tem chiller would not ease your temperature worries. Yes, there may be people saying it worked for them but think of the long term.
    Last edited by BFG; 24th May 2007 at 23:02.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    agreed, for my 40L the least i have to take is CL280. I am actually thinking to get CL450 but space constraint is a issue to me.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I am using CL280 on my 2 ft tank And find that it is about right

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi plee
    can you advise what is the kick in time and idle time ?
    thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    On hind sight, I should have gotten a "bigger" chiller but the sales guy was saying that it should be OK as I wanted a "small" one and the CL85 is very small. Maybe he just wanted to make a sale.
    They have some running in their shop and is able to get down to 21-22C, but then they are in air-condition room (which is around 24-25) so ...

Anyway, the temperature in my tank is getting more stable and is below 28C which was what I wanted. How big is the CL280 or CL450 ? May not fit nicely into my cluttered house. My mum and wife is alreayd starting to complain about the amount of "equipment" I have for the tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    sorry bro...perhaps you should have made some research before buying somethg so expensive... i do have some chart on the power consumption, capacity and dimensions of these chiller. will try to upload tonight if got time.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks SkySky,

I am going to start a smaller tank just to try my hand on prawns and stuff.
    So this small chiller should do its job (I hope).

Did not discover this forum before that. Only when I had a problem did I start looking for feedback. Haha

For the cherrys, would 25C be a good enviroment for their development ?

I am actually more into plants, mosses and stuff.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    25 is a very good temp, even CRS can thrive in it let alone cherries. actually you can intro cherry in that 60L tank, they will do well in that tank without chiller. it is the more expensive and delicate shrimp like CRS , bee shrimp that requires chiller to achieve lower temp say 25degree.
    also moss and plants works very well with shrimps too
    enjoy shrimping

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast