Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Stan,
    Agree that it's the design that counts, that's why I say the judges make a good call. The top three all look very nice IMHO. I think if the 3 place winner were to use grass instead of moss, it'll be even nicer. But then that'll mean they have to plant the whole tank with grass on 1 day. And yeah, some of the design are a bit on the safe side - I shall not mention which one - and sometimes get a bit too common if you ask me. Other setups may have nice design too. But I feel that they didn't win because the overall setup didn't click. I saw a few which have a very nice background but the foreground is a bit blank.

As for the plants looking half dead, it can't be avoided. I think the fishes will die too because basically you have to set the tank up and throw everything in on the same day. But hey, as long as they're not half dead during judging, it's all that counts right?

Some of the award winning discus also look half dead by the time I see them too. And the winner for marine tank got algae all over the glass by the time I see it. Lol!!

- Luenny

PS: Sorry, asking newbie question again, why is it nobody put crypts?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Luenny, crypts melt with sudden change in environmental conditions... The result is unsightly and messy and potentially deadly for the fish in a tank with no established bio-filtration...
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi Luenny,

Almost all Crypts types will melt in new tank setups. [emersed may last long enough thru weekend though]
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Ok, thanks for the confirmation. I know they melt but I was thinking, they wouldn't melt that fast right? I mean they will only be put in 1 or 2 days before judging right? But then again, the exibit have to stay until the weekends.

- Luenny

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Some crypts can melt overnight... You will be surprised... Some people reported whole tank worth of crypts gone while they sleep after a biggish water change... And sometimes, the crypts will grow back overnight, after disappearing for a few months, en masse too...

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Justikanz View Post
    Some crypts can melt overnight... You will be surprised... Some people reported whole tank worth of crypts gone while they sleep after a biggish water change... And sometimes, the crypts will grow back overnight, after disappearing for a few months, en masse too...
    I know that crypts will melt but never know that some will melt overnight, interesting.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Shadow, it's after a biggish water change. These are changes that will cause crypts to melt. How much is affected depends on how much are the water changes and species of crypts.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hmmm ... I must admit. I have the same thought as Shadow. Didn't know they melt so fast. Always nice to talk to experience people ... see next time if I have crypts I won't do large water change very often.

- Luenny

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    But it is interesting to know that some crypts are seemingly NOT affected by even 100% water change... Then suddenly, after a few months, sometimes, they will just melt off...

And sometimes, after a few months, a big water change will trigger some cypts you thought had disappeared forever to re-appear... because their runner/root system had not melted away...

Anyway, it is not advisable to use crypts for such competitions. The submersed one risks melting off and judges usually don't take the emersed ones well... simply because they are emersed plants...