Thread: Too many fishes in 2ft tank ???

Feedback Score

Too many fishes in 2ft tank ???

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Dear all

Recently bought couple of fishes and added to my 2ft tank but within 2 days most of them died. Could someone help to explain what went wrong???

Tank inmates previously:
    2 common clowns
    1 strawberry gamma
    1 tomato clown
    1 pink skunk
    1 regal blue tank
    2 small anemone
    3 shrimps
    4-5 kg of live rocks.

recently bought 2 fish - true perula & box fish.

All above fishes are small in size. i.e. about 3/4 inch only. Except 2 common clowns about 1.5 inch each.

After added true pecula & boxfish, 1 day later 3 fishes died. 2nd day, another 3 fishes died.
    Now left with only true perucla & gamma.

Water parameters (when added 2 new fishes):
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 40ppm
    ph - 8.4
    salt level - 1.026

I'm using 3-tier overhead filteration.
    1st tier - common sponge
    2nd tier - ceramics
    3rd tier - bio balls.

Where did I went wrong ??? overcrowded ?
    I did noticed my protein skimmer limewood turns black. Is it because of the limewood turn black and cause the damage ?

Kindly comment and propose solution please.

Thanks in advance...

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Tank inmates previously:
    2 common clowns
    1 strawberry gamma
    1 tomato clown
    1 pink skunk
    1 regal blue tank
    2 small anemone
    3 shrimps
    that is alot of fishes for a 2ft tank..

Water parameters (when added 2 new fishes):
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 40ppm
    ph - 8.4
    salt level - 1.026
    Nitrate is too high.. try to lower it...

how old is your tank??? that amt of fishes is too much for your tank.. and u should change water to lower the nitrate... and i dun recommend anything more than 3-4 small fishes..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

too many liao!!
    wah better get rid of the boxfish..when it dies it will release toxins in the water. ur fishes wont b spared in ur 2ft tank.
    i thin ur fishes died cos of overstocking.ur no3 is very very high......another possiblity is tt ur boxfish got stressed n release abit of toxins.
    u shldnt hv added delicate fish like true clown,tangs n boxfish this early when ur no3 is so high
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    dfstan,

Compared to my tank, slightly biggest than yours (2.5ft. I think I got more fishes but they are still living very actively. Perhaps, I took some extra measures. Ok, let you share my bio loads:

1 x flame angel
    1 x yellow tank
    1 x blue damsel
    1 x dotty back
    1 x majestic angel
    2 x GS maroon clown
    5 x normal clown
    1 x cleaner shrimp
    1 x blood shrimp
    1 x boxer shrimp
    1 x shrimp (look like lobster)
    few mushroom corals
    few star polyps

So you think my bio load is huge , right ?

The filtration I adopted:
    1 x eheim 2227
    1 x internal sump
    20+++ kg live rock for biological filtration

water parameters:
    0 nitrite
    0 ammonia
    20 to 40 ppm nitrate

25% water change every week (i think about 2 standard pail of water)

What is my plan:

short term plan: get a denitrator soon and thinking of another eheim 2227 to be purchased 2nd hand.
    long term plan: upgrade to 4ft tank with complete system (kelvin, I'm supposed to send you my drawing but really busy with my school work. After ,my exam, I will send to you for your comments. Thanks in advance)

So can anyone comment about my tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    one of the ways to overcome high NO3 levels is to do regular water changes or reduce the bio-load.. i only have 6 fishes inside my 4ft... and out of that, 2 of them are ard 15cm long...

boxfishes are cute.. but they do release toxin when they are stressed and if that is the case, i recommend changing at least 75% of the water... can change the wool.. coz they are "contaminated" but do leave a fistful to kick start the bacteria again... and from the looks of it, chances are, the filtration has yet to fully mature...

clownfish, no worries.. perhaps we can meet up as well.. but that would have to wait coz me will be in aussie land from the 7th of nov till mid of dec... coz like yourself, me busy with projects and exams... pm me if u need help..[]
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Definitely too many. My 250 litre tank has only 4 fish- flame angel, maroon clown, banggai cardinal, and royal gramma.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Actually, I also very worry my fish tank may crash suddenly because of too many fishes. But, take my tank as a experiment. So i got 14 fishes and don't intend to add anymore. With partial water change every friday (unless i get a denitrator), I will see what will happen. So far this tank is 5 mth old. See what will happen in anoth 6 mth times....ha ha

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    clownfish,
    that is still a lot of fishes.. u had to be religious in your change of water...[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Kel, come to my house to help me change water. []

Feedback Score
    Dear all

Thanks for your comments...

On Saturday when i performed 75% water change, my gamma fell sick . Its body seems to cover with white mucus all over. I immediately remove and put into another smaller tank and added copper medication but it died the next morning. I suspect my tank is contaminiated with disease, ick maybe.

I've noticed that my previous fishes also died after I change my water.

I bought my water from pac marine as i would think it would be better than mixing myself. Any comments on this ???

Now my tank has only 2 true percular and other invertebrates. Do not intend to add anymore fishes till I find the cause of recent death.

I've loss confidence in my capability to keep marine fish.....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    On Saturday when i performed 75% water change, my gamma fell sick . Its body seems to cover with white mucus all over. I immediately remove and put into another smaller tank and added copper medication but it died the next morning. I suspect my tank is contaminiated with disease, ick maybe.

I've noticed that my previous fishes also died after I change my water.

I bought my water from pac marine as i would think it would be better than mixing myself. Any comments on this ???

Now my tank has only 2 true percular and other invertebrates. Do not intend to add anymore fishes till I find the cause of recent death.

copper medication with invertebrates?? that is a no no.. actually, it would be better if u can mix the water yourself.. IMO, it is much safer.. white mucus is called velvet.. ick is something like white spots...
    i dun recommend changing more than 25% at one short..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Kel, come to my house to help me change water. []
    ----------------
    [/quote]
    Clownfish.. this is your responsibility!!!![] what abt like this.. i change yours.. u change mine!!!.. mine is a 4x2x2... offer valid only if your tank is smaller than mine.. []

Feedback Score
    Thanks all for your advise...

Now all my fishes died, including the percula...

Will stop buying fishes for time being till i solve the cause of it.

Intend to do a major water change (80%)this weekend. Any advise ?

Went to LFS today and saw a skimmer, brand is Sander. Cost $79 and about 1ft in length. Anyone use this b4?

Also, thought of adding on a cannister filter (eheim 2026) on top of my 3tier top filter. Cost at $250, anyone knows where I can get it cheaper ?

Lastly, any comments on getting my tank back in shape would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...