Country
    Singapore

Smile Apistogramma stocking query for 5 ft planted community tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Folks,

i have been reading up on all the apisto threads and was thinking of getting my first pair after Aug(moving house) where i will have a 5 by 2(depth) by 20" built in with sump.

My question here is how many pairs of breeding apisto can i have for the 5 feet planted?

The mates(intended list) are: Peruvian angels, altum angels, cardinals and oto.

Pleases advise.

Cheers!!
    Last edited by Quixotic; 3rd Jun 2007 at 20:10. Reason: app is not the short form for Apistogrammas
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Apistogrammas with angels? Even if they breed, unless there are lot of hiding places, unlikely the fries will survive to adulthood........
    I am into Plecos now...
    L46, L173, L134 & L236
    ~~Jeffrey~~

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i think hidding place is not an issue as i intended to furnish it extensively with p;ants.
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i believe it will be difficult to feed your babies apistos also. The tank is really very big for apisto, plus there are so many predators out there for the babaies.

But if you do it as a show tank, I think it will be very nice

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It is possible to have the fries to survive. I have seen a pair of A.macmasteri breeding in a 6ft tank in Green Chapter. But the problem will be the angels.

Angels will feed much faster than the apistogrammas. So you willl need to feed quite an amount so that the apistogrammas can reach them.

Or, you can first introduce the apistogrammas, then the angels. Give the former some sort of a head start in staking their territories.

As for stocking levels, I believe you can go up to 2-3 pairs as long as there are alot of hiding spaces. Besides using plants, create caves as shelter. Gives refuge to those being pestered constantly.

But seriously, I would think, why not just keep angels. Take out the apistogrammas out of the equation?
    ~ Vincent ~ Fishes calm your mind...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/valice/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Smile

good suggestions. Anyway, whn i moved, i will have about 4 tanks together with the 5 feeter(haven't plus the sump tank). maybe i will just set up one of my current two feet as a apisto tank?
    Last edited by benny; 4th Jun 2007 at 21:19.