Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How setup pleco tank for breeding?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia

How setup pleco tank for breeding?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am setting up a pleco tank 3'x20"x2. I have 4 peppermints catfish and I think they are mature enough to breed. The tank also will house 5 peruvian angelfish and cories. Also have bogwood etc.
    What will be the best way to setup the tank to encourage breeding.
    I use trickle filter for the tank with eheim 1025 pump (I think 1250 ltrs/hour)
    Can anybody help. Akoh can you help.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/6/2002 11:23:33 AM

I am setting up a pleco tank 3'x20"x2. I have 4 peppermints catfish and I think they are mature enough to breed. The tank also will house 5 peruvian angelfish and cories. Also have bogwood etc.

What will be the best way to setup the tank to encourage breeding.

I use trickle filter for the tank with eheim 1025 pump (I think 1250 ltrs/hour)

Can anybody help. Akoh can you help.
    ----------------
    Sure ikan ! no prob. !. First - you need to use 3" dia. x 6" length PVC tubing or bamboo for them to lay their eggs. Second - if it is for breeding pleco only, I reckon you should remove all the angelfishes and cories. Third - Powerhead is required to generate " water flow ". Fourth - maintian the temp. at 28 to 29 degree C. Fifth - you probably need more than 4 pcs ! think the pleco breeding ratio is 1 to 4 or 5 ( ie 1 female to 4 or 5 male !) []. and sixth - a bit of luck ! [] , Have fun ! cheer !

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    Safe Diving !
    Seeking for the Ultimate Diving Adventure !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    Thanks Akoh.
    Do you need the pvc to be that big (3" diameter)?
    And how much water movement do you need?
    I only have 4 peppermints and to buy them this size will cost over $100 each and very difficult to find. I have 2 males and 2 females so I'll just have to try my luck.
    How about the light, does it have to be low?

By the way how's your Zebra plecos?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/6/2002 4:45:13 PM

think the pleco breeding ratio is 1 to 4 or 5 ( ie 1 female to 4 or 5 male !) []. and sixth - a bit of luck ! [] , Have fun ! cheer !

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    ----------------
    Allen, I though it is 3 female vs 1 male???? No wonder my male sometime look so tire

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ikan, with an O/Dia of 3" and thickness of 1/4 ". I/Dia 21/2" just nice lah !.I'm currently using this size for my Zebra Pleco breeding tank. As for powerhead 500l to 750l /hr should be okay.
    The chances for breeding success is better if u have more pcs ! the more the merrier ! anyway wish u luck !.
    Lighting is secondary cos' I noticed both my farlowella and Zebra " party when light are off ! ".
    I lose all 1st batch Zebra babies 5 pcs in total coz' backside itchy lah ! do partial water change - kenna K/O ! . The 2nd batch ( from the same pair )- 4 eggs !, hatched about a week ago, just saw 2 babies this afternoon ! they're about 10mm ! cute little fellows !. " GOOD NEWS ! " while looking out for the remaining two babies, I saw EGGS ! about 5 pcs ! same PVC tubing ! think from the same pair ! very productive ! and very horny too ! . Well ! hope everything turned ok ! wish me luck !.
    Kun ! think the breeding ratio is correct lah ! cheers ! []

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    Safe Diving !
    Seeking for the Ultimate Diving Adventure !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    I have setuup the tank and the fish has been moved to the new tank.
    The tank has 1 large bogwood and 1 long one. They have anubias nana and java fern since it only have 1 fluores 30 watts. I hope the plant can grow.
    Also I put 2 piece of hollow cylinder shape wood. The biggest male is taking residence in it.
    A thing that I noticed one of the female has little bristle on the head, I am not sure it's a she or he anymore. I hope it's still a female.
    The tank also has 4 large siamese algae eater. They like to eat algae water and might be competing for food with cories and catfish.
    I'll let you know when the spawn

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Re: How setup pleco tank for breeding.

I would like to know how to set up a breeding tank for Angels.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How setup pleco tank for breeding.

Quote Originally Posted by kak45 View Post
    I would like to know how to set up a breeding tank for Angels.
    Then start a new thread on that in the appropriate sub-forum and I'm sure many forum members here would be more than willing to help you. Angels and plecos aren't exactly the same
    -clint- ~apisto keepers unite!~