Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Moss and lighting requirement for vivarium??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Moss and lighting requirement for vivarium??

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Intend to convert my 1.2footer into Vivarium.
    Was thinking of setting up a simple one using Singapore Moss (if this is what it;'s called) as the carpet. And some taller plants here and there. Woods will be tied with moss also.

Have some questions here:
    1. Can I use black quartz as the substrate?? Or must I use a certain type of soil for the setup??
    2. Intend to "shop" around the neighbourhood for some Singapore Moss, the for the wood, I intend to use maybe Xmas moss or Taiwan moss. Any recommendation??
    3. Any good and hardy taller plants to recommend, looking for plants that look like E.teneulle, and those with Nana petite type of looking??
    4. Is there a specific watt to follow for the tank, like 3WPG for planted??
    5. Lastly, if there's any tips you Bros can give to me.

Can only think of these "few" questions for now. Sorry for the many questions.
    Thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by Justikanz; 15th Jun 2007 at 15:15. Reason: Thankz

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    1. Can I use black quartz as the substrate?? Or must I use a certain type of soil for the setup??

Ans: Yes you can use black quartz as the substrate only if you intend to use it as a top layer, preferably leica or also known as clay pellets would be much more of a better choice in terms of weight, porous density and better medium. Clay pellets allow the "breathing" spaces in between for the roots if you should have any other plants planted.

2. Intend to "shop" around the neighbourhood for some Singapore Moss, the for the wood, I intend to use maybe Xmas moss or Taiwan moss. Any recommendation??

All these mosses are alright as emmersed plants, as long as the humidity is high in the tank, any of these mosses shouldn't pose a problem. Do give it a week to 3 weeks for them to convert to emmersed and they'll start spreading like wild fire.

3. Any good and hardy taller plants to recommend, looking for plants that look like E.teneulle, and those with Nana petite type of looking??

For this, you could try "Wandering Jew" which is a creeper vine, a beautifully plant with purple and silvery white stripes. They'll add a strong visual impact to your overall scaping. Other hardy plants will include Ivies, Hoyas, Bromeliads and Pepperomias just to name a few. The list is endless.

4. Is there a specific watt to follow for the tank, like 3WPG for planted??

There's none to follow as a strict one but as a rough estimation, a 36W would suffice for your 1.2ft tank. The deeper the tank, the stronger the output.

5. Lastly, if there's any tips you Bros can give to me.

Sure, just have fun in building up your Vivarium, and the best part of this is that your scaping will mature with you, somewhat like a fine wine.

Hope these few basic pointers will help you steer in the right path to your Vivarium construction. Do post some pictures when it's done

Best Regards,
    Phillipe.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks also Bro Wild Ginger.
    Will give it a try and look out for the stuff you mention in your post.
    Last edited by Justikanz; 25th Jun 2007 at 11:27. Reason: thankz