Country
    Singapore

ADA aquasoil

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi All,

Some what new to the planting hobby. Was thinking of setting back up me old 2ft x 1ft x 1.5ft with a Eheim 2224 for filteration and CO2. .

Have been hearing alot on this ADA soil that everyone is using. Doesn`t anyone use the older way of base fertilizer and gravel on top? Is ADA soil better then this? If it is better, how much to put for a 2ft tank? What is the pricing like? Where can i purchase it? Any shop in the East?

Thank in advance!
    Great site AQ
    Last edited by benny; 25th Jun 2007 at 01:08. Reason: Market place violation.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I would say it is better than base fert+gravel. For 2ft tank, 9L is just enough. I used about 12L for my 2ft tank. By the way ADA used L instead of Kg. Pricing is between $35 to $42
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey..thanks for the advise! By the way whats the difference between the soils, Amazonia, Malaya and Africana? Which is the better or what are the usages? As you mentioned earlier 9L for $35-$42, is this first handed or second hand?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi El-Nemo,
    Amazonia is richer in 'corrosion acid' than Malaya and Africana. You may get more info on ADA's webbie.

Amazonia
    Malaya
    Africana

Most of us choose it for the colour. From experience, Africana is the easiest to handle, the water is crystal clear from day one of setup.

The price difference is due to new and old stock if I'm not mistaken.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    9L for $35-$42 is first handed.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks Stan and Shadow,
    but now it kinda buggs me on how/what should I put into my external filter?
    what i mean is what would be the best combination of filter materials to use together with ADA soil?

Because i saty in Tampines anyone know where i can purchase cheap ADA soil on the Eastside?

Thanks in advance for all your advise

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Fully ADA?

Whatever you can afford from the range really. Bio Rio as the mid section is a great addition, the coarse section and fine wool section can be substituted.

filter inlet>coarse ceramic pipelet/foam pad>bio rio>fine filter material>filter out.

There's some additives from ADA that you may want to look into.
    Bacter 100/Bacter balls IMHO are pretty good. Though I can't say what it does exactly but my tanks are healthy and there seems to be a feeling of satisfaction at having less than normal BBA or BGA problems as previously. [Strictly my experience, your mileage may vary as there are many variables in a planted tank!] I use some Clear Super and Penac W as well once in a blue moon.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Greece
    Hi guys,
    we don't know ADA soil in Greece and I would like to ask what water parametres can it offer to the tank (for Amazonia soil) pH, kH, gH and if this is permanent or drops as time passes...from your experience!
    ____George____
    Rio Negro biotope in 400 litres
    Rio Negro biotope in 120 litres (now reforming)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Hi George,

Amazonia's got peat and releases ammonia. Makes the kH go 0 and pH drop to below 6 from my own hobby test kit. IME it's best used as a fishless cycle for min a week.
    After a month it's stable at low pH 6.1-6.4. Steadily rises as the peat in it exhausts. Best used with Brighty K[potassium supplement] that has some alkaline chemical to balance the low pH.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Greece
    Hi StanChung and thanks for the answer!
    If I got it well, it is best for a new setup and only Amazonia's soil releases amonia...normal peat doesn't do that..,right?
    Last edited by benny; 25th Jun 2007 at 22:42. Reason: spelling
    ____George____
    Rio Negro biotope in 400 litres
    Rio Negro biotope in 120 litres (now reforming)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi StanChung,
    i think you have mistaken i was thinking of using Eheim materials.
    what would be a good match for the ADA soil?
    so (L for my 2ft makes how thick a layer?
    thanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Bacter 100/Bacter balls are good match for the ADA soil as StanChung said. There is also power sand for base substrate. I have try ADA aquasoil but never try the rest, so no comment.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by Genirous View Post
    Hi StanChung and thanks for the answer!
    If I got it well, it is best for a new setup and only Amazonia's soil releases amonia...normal peat doesn't do that..,right?
    Haha, I don't know what you mean by normal peat but organic matter being degraded by certain microorganisms will release ammonia if I'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Nemo
    i think you have mistaken i was thinking of using Eheim materials.
    what would be a good match for the ADA soil?
    so (L for my 2ft makes how thick a layer?
    thanks
    Did I mention Eheim? erm perhaps you are mistaken!
    You can use the blue sponges ADA makes. Actually get yourself a copy of the Style of ADA catalogue. It's in English and it's step by step-everything you need to know for the basics. All there instead of straining your eyes to read from a computer monitor! [Well do ask here if you're flummoxed, gives us something to do! lol]

With ADA soil, For that tanks size, I usually have about one inch in front and 4-5" at the back. That's the beauty of ADA soil, no thick 4" ugly holland sand in front, maximizes your view from the front and grows glosso, hairgrass, HC well. I see some benefit in using Powersand for the long term tanks with hungry root feeding plants[eg: small crypts, echinodorus] and you only need to lay it from the mid area to the back.

IMHO for tanks ?2ft- great if money's no object.

Good match for ADA soil? Use their fertilizers till you can find cheaper substitutes or just keep using them, IME they work! [IMHO they're just a bit pricy for fertilizers in the long run]
    Last edited by StanChung; 26th Jun 2007 at 13:24.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    so Stan, how much will 9L cover my 2ft?
    how many inches will it take up?
    thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    also forgot to mention. last night went out for dinner and visited one of the LFS nearby. it seems that OCEANFREE has also came out with a soil similer to ADA soil.

will help keep the ph at 6-6.5ph
    will not cloude water no need fertilizers and
    comes in 2 different colours!

anyone have any knoweledge of it? is it any good?
    thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ADA Soil

Bro El Nemo,
    I have a spare 9L bag (new and unused) of ADA Amazonia, and a few loose bags of ADA soil also bought in Malacca where the shop sold them in smaller packets. I think in all more than enough to cover a 2ft tank.

I bought when I wanted to start a planted tank project, but my hobby has taken a different direction, so these are surplus to my requirements. For $40, you can have the whole lot.

I am in Hougang, won't mind delivering to Tampines if you cannot pick up. Let me know.

Phil AA 82330369

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Here's the math.
    The average height of the soil will be (1+5)/2=3"=7.6cm

If your tank footprint is 61x30.5cm, therefore the amount needed would be 7.6x61x30.5/1000=14.14 liters.

Two bags of 9L Aquasoil will suffice and you will have some spare for top ups later on.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hey bro AngelAddik,
    i would like this arrangement very much.
    does it come in the ADA packaging?
    thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Bro El-Nemo,
    Was waiting for your reply. Another bro rang up and wanted the soil but he has decided to let you have the right of way since I offered to you first.

The 9L pack is in the original ADA packaging and is unopened. The rest which I got from a shop in Melaka, Malaysia, is packed into separate clear plastic packaging, no labels but sealed. I can't remember how many packs I bought, I wanted to set up a small cube tank for the office, so I think a couple of packs. You can have them all.

Text me your details; if you are able to pick up from Hougang, all the better. Saves me the delivery trip. Also send me your email, I have a PDF file that I think Bro Stan Chung compiled that illustrates how to start a tank with ADA Amazonia soil.

Cheers, Phil AA