Images
    Country
    Singapore

rasbora at Ben TB

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    while camping at Ben's, saw that he has a tankful of Boraras maculata (dwarf rasbora). Mix in with them are some fish with a black horizontal line with a goldish trim. Size is only 1.5-2 cm. Ben claimed that it is the Emperor tetra from the next tank.

Anyway, when I got home found that I have caught one of the black line fish along with the B. maculata. Taking a closer look, this is definitely not a tetra. Looks to me like the Rasbora borapetensis (black line rasbora). Is there any one familiar with rasboras visiting Ben's might confirm for me?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

rasbora at Ben TB

while camping at Ben's, saw that he has a tankful of Boraras maculata (dwarf rasbora). Mix in with them are some fish with a black horizontal line with a goldish trim. Size is only 1.5-2 cm. Ben claimed that it is the Emperor tetra from the next tank.

Anyway, when I got home found that I have caught one of the black line fish along with the B. maculata. Taking a closer look, this is definitely not a tetra. Looks to me like the Rasbora borapetensis (black line rasbora). Is there any one familiar with rasboras visiting Ben's might confirm for me?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

rasbora at Ben TB

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

rasbora at Ben TB

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    izzit the mosquito rasbora.. i want~ thinking of going down there on friday or sat or sun
    hehee.. any corys~ ^.^

----------------
    On 9/12/2002 12:46:56 AM

----------------

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i saw one species of rasbora at ben too.. isnt the mosquito... it looks like the big-spot rasbora, rasbora kalochroma

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    LeAnn, I believe "mosquito rasbora" refers to the Boraras brigittae. The one that Ben has is the "dwarf rasbora" or Boraras maculata. Both are roughly the same size around 2cm, among the smallest cyprinids. The mosquito has a stripe while the dwarf has 3 spots. Have a look at these Rasbora pics

He is promising to bring in another rasbora this evening, hopefully along with the shrimp

If you like mosquito rasbora you would like the B. maculata too. I bought 18 for 50¢ each.

Simon, the R. kalochroma is way bigger around 4 inches long. Haven't seen it though.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i want~ oh.. then i can put inside my new tank.. hehe.. me really going to setup a small shrimp tank soonz with all the different kinds of small shrimps that is sold in sg hehe.. ^.^ hehe after i get my pay check :/

----------------
    On 9/12/2002 11:08:16 AM

LeAnn, I believe "mosquito rasbora" refers to the Boraras brigittae. The one that Ben has is the "dwarf rasbora" or Boraras maculata. Both are roughly the same size around 2cm, among the smallest cyprinids. The mosquito has a stripe while the dwarf has 3 spots. Have a look at these Rasbora pics

He is promising to bring in another rasbora this evening, hopefully along with the shrimp

If you like mosquito rasbora you would like the B. maculata too. I bought 18 for 50¢ each.

Simon, the R. kalochroma is way bigger around 4 inches long. Haven't seen it though.

----------------

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    LeAnn, he also have the Blue Eye Rasbora Rasbora dorsiocellata macrophthalma only 40c. It is mixed together with the cherry barbs, only about 2-3cm in size.