Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Query on Fans to cool tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I'm considering putting in some fans to cool my tank. Was wondering if anyone could enlighten my on the following:

a) How reliable are these fans and how low can the temp drop as a result of the cooling?
    b) What are the more popular brands of fans that are being used?
    c) How many fans to use for a 4 footer? Whats the rough guide for this?
    d) Is there a higher risk of fish getting sick when temp is lowered?
    e) Whats the power consumption for these fans?

Sorry for asking so many questions...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi gchoo

you will only need one AC fan for a 4footer and the last time I left it on for 24hrs the temp reminded a constant 27C to 28C...which was alittle worrying as it is a discus tank....so what i did was to connect the fan to the same timer switch as the lights so that it comes on and off in line with the lights...power consumption is quite marginal, and the brand I bought was the Ista brand.

I dont think the fish is going to get sick if you can hold the temp swing in the 1C range.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Hi gchoo,

I also have the same questions before I DIY myself a pair of DC fans.

a. You will be surprised of what these fans can do, around 1-2 degress reduction, you feel cold when your hands are in the water.[:0] [:0] [:0]
    b. Saw some AC fans at Nature today, not too big and very nice black colour ones, comes in 2 fans or 4 fans.
    c. Actually... no hard and fast rule, I think you can get a big one or those smaller ones (in pairs) at nature.
    d. I think temp at around 27 to 28 degree is fine. The important thing is temp swing.
    e. Marginal.

Note the the AC fans can be quite noisy. If you are going to lfs shopping, can give me a ring, I can meet up with you.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi alan

i agree with you that AC fans can be noisy....that is dependant on the number of blades....the noisy ones have 5 blades the good and quiet ones have 7 blades which only can be found at sim lim tower....alittle expensive though
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    1 AC for a 4footer at ard 27-28 degree, if yr tank is in your bedroom then advise is get DC.. but it noise isnt a factor then get the AC, dun need to DIY, its plug and spin []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,
    I just wonder do anyone know how to convert
    a DC Fan(PC Fan which are install in computer) to AC
    so that it can plug and work..Pls kindly enlighten mi.
    Thank..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You will need a AC/DC adapter that converts from the 220V AC mains to your fan's DC voltage.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled" - Richard Feynman, 1986. Rogers commission into the Challenger disaster

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    ac/dc adapter that output 12Vdc.
    red wire +ve, black wire -ve.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/8/2002 10:54:56 PM

ac/dc adapter that output 12Vdc.
    red wire +ve, black wire -ve.
    ----------------
    Err not all DC fans are 12V, some are 5V and some weirder ones got even funnier voltages. Driving a fan at higher than the stipulated voltage will make the life of the motor shorter. While using a lower voltage may cause the fan not to turn on or turn slower.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled" - Richard Feynman, 1986. Rogers commission into the Challenger disaster

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the replies...
    Alan, thanks for the offer...I'm still building the "business case" to buy the fans.

Anyway, more questions...

a) Any brands to recommend and at what price?
    b) Does it come with a rack to mount already or do you have to DIY?
    c) How noisy is the AC type?
    d) 1 AC fan for 4 foot tank enuff? Will that lower the temp by 1 to 2 degrees?
    My current tank temp is between 28-29. Possible to go down to 27?
    e) Will putting more than 1 fan cool it further? Is there a lowest temp that can be reach even if you put 20 fan also still the same?

Sorrie again...

Feedback Score
    I have tried both DIY DC fan and the ready-made DC and I found out that the price difference doesn't vary too much. If you don't have too tight the budget constraint, personally I feel that ready-made one will be much a better choice.

I made my previous DC fan for about $45 (including 4 DC fans, adapter, wire, circuit connector) and recently I bought a ready-made one (i think it is ocean free brand 4 DC fans) for about $69 from C328. (I discovered Nature Aqua at Thomson is selling much cheaper $50+). The ready-made one looks much nicer and it has the 'hook clips' for you to place on top of the glass panel.

Fan method does help me to reduce my tank temp from from as high as 31C to as low as 26C (depends on the weather too). But most of the time, the temp is around 27-28C). However, DC fans are really really very noisy and need to replenish the tank with water daily.

I took out the top wind blade of the ocean-free fan unit (there are 2 blades to holde all the DC fans), trying to reduce as much vibration which caused the noise as possible. It helps a little bit but still noisy lar

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

Did you try damping the vibrations with soft rubber pads between your tank glass and the fan clamps?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hmm another addition, I think the noise of the fan also depends on the quality of the fan. My computer is running all DC fans (about 5 of them) and some of them are noisy while some of them are totally silent.

Feedback Score
    Hi Liquid,

Yes, I did put some 'cushioning' pads on the clamps. [:] [:]
    You are rite, it depends on the type of DC fans you are using, some are more quiet, but still very noisy ah. haha... [] [] []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    So the noise level exactly like the PC fan isit or louder?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I got mine for around $16 for a single DC fan setup since my tank is only 2 ft.

ac adaptor $10 - you can recycle some spare one lying around the house.for eg. external modem, cordless phone etc. make sure you check the votage rating !

12v dc fan $5

jack 50c - so that you don't have to cut off the ends of the adaptor which is a series of different size plugs and jacks.

all can be bought at the shop behind edison elect shop, ground floor sim lim square.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm getting abit confused here... Is the DC type or Ac type more noisy? If I get Ac type oni need to get 1 right? If I get DC type need to get 4? How much for each type?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes AC is the noiser one, and yes u require only one for a 4ft... to reduce noise, the fan need to sit on a even surface.. cant comment on the DC, coz neber try them b4

Feedback Score
    Each DC fan cost around $5 and you can find them at simlim tower.
    AC fan (don't know - maybe simon can help)

It depends on your tank size, currently I am using a 4 DC fans unit for my 2*1.5*2 feet tank.

AC fan definitely is more powerful and quiet than DC fan. But you must be more careful in handling, not to drop it into the tank (need not to explain why lar)
    I maybe more 'kea see' so I choose to use DC fan as it is much safer. [] [] [] although it is quite noisy
    []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    AC fan about $20. Comes in 2 sizes. Found at the same shop in Sim Lim Square. DC fans are smaller and you can vary the speed by regulating the voltage. AC fan you can't easily do that. Also if your tank is covered, it poses some challenges as to where to place the fan(s). I notice the last 2 wks were pretty cool and I didn't turn on my DC fan. Used to go up as high as 31 deg about a month ago and that worries me. Now it's about 28-29.5 deg.

Cheers,
    Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast