Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Base Fert and Jobe Sticks

Feedback Score

Base Fert and Jobe Sticks

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just wondering is it necessary to add Jobe sticks and monster root etc to supplement when there already is base fert ? Can the base fert be "renewed" ?

Feedback Score

Just wondering is it necessary to add Jobe sticks and monster root etc to supplement when there already is base fert ? Can the base fert be "renewed" ?

Feedback Score

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    only if u got lotsa rosette plants... sooner or later, yr base fert will be used up or suck dry of nutrients

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Most base ferts provide a basic level of nutrients, and usually with zero or low levels of N-P-K.

If I'm not wrong, plants like to get the P from the substrate, which is why a lot plants show noticeably better growth with Jobe Sticks (N-P-K only). Another frequently lacking or insufficient nutrient is iron. I'm trying ISTA iron fetiliser (laterite pellets) now and my Echinodorus 'Indian Red Flame' are sprouting redder new leaves. Other substrate fertilisers like Root Monster provide the other nutrients and are meant to 'enrich' or 'boost' the substrate.

So while your plants can survive with just base fert, if you want better growth, you should use substrate fertilisers.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    A word of caution.

Do not anyhow get the normal fertilizer sticks sold at nurseries, they cantain a high level of phosphates....

Of all, Jobe stick is the most [and supposely least amt of phosphates]
    The key to success is patience. If that fails, screw the guy in front of you!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ah... Jobe sticks. There are many versions of Jobe Sticks. I know of 3 kinds: Jobe Sticks for
    1. Aquatic Plants (N-P-K = 8-24-
    2. Household Plants
    3. Ferns and Palms

1 has very high P. I bought it before I realise there were more then 1 kind and now my tank has very high phosphate. Whether its due to the sticks, I do not know as I did not measure my PO4 before using it.

2 & 3 are (allegedly) more suitable for planted tanks as they have much, much lower P.

So, remember to buy the correct ones.

Feedback Score
    Other substrate fertilisers like Root Monster provide the other nutrients and are meant to 'enrich' or 'boost' the substrate.

So while your plants can survive with just base fert, if you want better growth, you should use substrate fertilisers.
    ----------------
    Vinz what do you mean by boost the substrate ? Does that mean they can "renew" the base fert once it has been sucked dry of nutrients ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    In a way. Most of them work as slow release fertilisers, gradually leeching nutrients into the substrate. However, its fairly localised. I think some also contain chemicals that help to convert or maintain elements in the substrate into usuable nutrients.