Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Thomas says Hi!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello everyone! I'm thomas aka thomaspkc and I am all the way from Johor Bahru. Actually not that far, since I am one of those fellows who have been studying here in Singapore all their lives!

Before I came upon this site, I was just surfing around Aquariumadvice, Aquatic Plant Central and Guitarfish.org. Glad to have found this forum, since nothing beats having a forum talking about fishkeeping in local context, with all the 'lah's and 'leh's!

Though I had this hobby for nearly three years now, but i'm still a budding newbie since I didn't dare to splurge on ADA stuff. Damn cheapo. But time has changed! I just got my first big bag of ADA Amazonia to start anew! Zenscape here I come!

My one and only setup:

1.5ft tank
    second-hand sad looking light running about 30+w
    Resun Cyclone External Filter CY-20
    CO2 tank with solenoid timer
    Normal black gravel
    ADA Amazonia!

2 panda corydoras
    2 Bronze corydoras (the oldest members of my tank, my first few fishes!)
    2 Otocinclus
    1 Hillstream loach
    (for now, gonna restock after my scaping)

Sad to say, the aquarium industry in Johor Bahru is abysmal, having only a small range of fishes (except for the infinite number of weird looking goldfishes). I know the locations of almost all the fish shops in JB at the back of my hand, after many driving trips around, but so far only a handful have good stuff. That is why it's great to be in Singapore where the aquarium hobby is so happening!

So many things to say, so many questions to ask! I look forward to learning from the seniors here!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

We await your new setup
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thomas,
    Welcome to AQ. The good thing about this forum is that there are many topic which can cater to your need. Hope you have a good time here.
    I am keeping discus and apisto not into planted yet. But I am sure many bros here can help you along your journey.
    Richard

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    hi welcome thomas, i'm also a newbie but have try out planted tank. .but now have forcus to low tech CRS moss tank. .anything we can share just speak out sure alot of helper in AQ will guide you along. cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Welcome Thomas!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Haha, thanks for your friendly welcomes! felt right at home just looking at your replies! I guess it's gonna take a while before I get a avatar like you guys, guess I got to work on that!
    Thomas

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Aquarium scene in Malaysia not happening? Obviously you haven't been looking in your own rivers and streams!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Bryan's got a very good point. What you don't have in shops, you have in abundance in nature.

Cheers,

p.s. I see you got your avatar already! Look like you are settling down just fine.
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan View Post
    Aquarium scene in Malaysia not happening? Obviously you haven't been looking in your own rivers and streams!
    I did consider looking in those places for fish and plants, but I believe you know that rubbish is considered as part of the environment by now. With the advances of urbanisation, these rivers and streams in JB are getting lesser by the minute. I have a fish(keeping) buddy who actually went to the ponds near my neighbourhood last year to catch lots of pygmy rasboras. Sad to say those ponds are now the foundations of a condo block. Rivers and streams had given way to concrete and drains. Sad sad sad. My friend even said that 20 years ago, the drains of JB actually contained many wild guppies! If only I picked up that hobby then...

I wanted to to see the primary forests in my area, with only one thing hindering me: SNAKES.

But then again, you can't really get panda cories in the rivers of JB right? Haha. Maybe that's why I find the shops in JB inadequate, also with the lack of equipment, rocks and wood, and cool looking ADA stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by benny View Post
    p.s. I see you got your avatar already! Look like you are settling down just fine.
    Ha. Finally I have a face!
    Thomas