Singapore

Need help with CO2 tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=31270

Hi all,

With reference to the earlier thread, I finally made a trip to Bioplast yesterday. Apparently the rubber seal was spoiled and the boss had it replaced. As I stepped out of the shop, one of the boss's friends told me to "come back for refill once the gauge hits the 30-mark, otherwise the gas released is not pure co2".

At that point, i was abit puzzled by his statement, but I didnt pursue further because my mind was distracted by another thing: i took a look at my pressure gauge and it showed only 2 divisions above the "30-mark". Promptly, I went to ask the boss about it and he reassured me that due the frozen state of the refilled gas, the pressure is still low, but it will slowly expand to eventually reach the optimum level of 60-mark.

So I went home and immediately tested the co2 tank (I'm a first-timer in this). All was working well, but the gauge level still wasnt increasing. So today I went to check the co2 level and instead of increasing the presure level dropped another half division! (refer to photo attached, right gauge)

1) is there still something wrong with my co2 tank? A one-day old refilled tank should look like that right? Now it looks barely half filled...

2) whats the so-called "30-mark" thing about? I've never heard of it before, please enlighten. Thanks...

Sorry for the lengthy story telling....

Last edited by Freakin' Fraud; 5th Aug 2007 at 15:05. Reason: Forgot photo
    Who made up all these rules?
    We follow 'em like fools.
    Believe 'em to be true.
    Don't care to think 'em through.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

The left guage tells you how much gas you have in your cylinder.
    It is about 1100 PSI now, when it drops to 300 or less, you will notice that the bubbling starts to slow and it is an indication that it is time to refill. Not sure whether it is pure co2 or not, but definitely it would be difficult to achieve steady flow.

The right guage tells you how much pressure you have at your needle valve, it is normal to be between 20-30, it indicates the pressure at which gas is leaving your cylinder. You don't want it to be too high, else it would be difficult to control the bubbling rate, as far as I know.

I suspect the boss at Biotope is telling you to bring the cylinder for refill once the Left guage falls below 300, could be a miscommunication.

I am basing my suspicion on personal experience, I too top up my co2 at Bioplast and that was what the boss told me the other time
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thank you bossteck for your clarification.
    Who made up all these rules?
    We follow 'em like fools.
    Believe 'em to be true.
    Don't care to think 'em through.