Country
    Philippines

Hello from the Philippines

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello everybody!

I've been an aquarium fanatic for about 10 years now and have raised Goldfishes. I've gone through several batches, learning the hardway. But this past 4 years, I've had zero mortality. But still I would like to learn more on how to take care of my goldfishes.

I've read somewhere that Goldfishes live up to 20 years. I would like to experience that. Also, I would like to learn how to breed them.

I know I will learn a lot from this site.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Welcome to the forum!

Maybe you would like to share with us your secret in keeping Goldfishes?

What type of goldfishes do you keep?
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    Country
    Philippines
    Thank you Nicholas, call me David.

At present I have 3 Ryukins (about 4.5" in diameter) and 3 lionheads (still small, about 2" in diameter), and one Betta.

I have a 50 gallon aquarium. I guess i defied the rule of thumb of 1 goldfish / 10 gallons. My setup is a rock garden, since it always gets dirty when i put in live plants. The fish keep on eating them.

I have a Fluvial under counter filter system and a Rio powerhead connected to the undergravel filter. The out of the power head is piped in a way that it is just about 1/2" above the surface of the water (serves as my aeration system)

I do not do the 20% water change every week. Instead I do a 50% - 80% water change every month. Just right after the water change, i put in 5 tablespoons of salt, following the rule of thumb of 1 Tblspn / 10 gallons, and about 120 drops of Methylene Blue. So, during the month, my only maintenance is the cleaning of the filters every week and adding water lost to evaporation.

I feed them Tetra Pellets, the one in the green bottle (for growth), twice a day.

I guess that just about it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi David,

Generally, Goldfish and plants don't mix. Somehow I've always found them to do better in the outdoors in a cool shaded area, just be aware of cats and birds. I used to have a classmate with a 15year old oranda living in a disused concrete water tank on his rooftop!