Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Low flow rate on Eheim Pro II 2028 causing cloudy water?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Low flow rate on Eheim Pro II 2028 causing cloudy water?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Recently bought a 2nd hand filter, is there any expert or experience people using this set? Problem I'm facing now is that the water flow seem a bit low i.e. my 4ft tank water are getting cloudy each day. Even after altenate day water change of 50%. My tank size 4ft x 2 ft x 2ft. 6 x 54w T5 lights, co2 external diffuser. Resun CL-450. I'm using ADA Amazonia mix new and 2nd hand sand. Any LFS or local agent that services this filter? Thanks in advance for any advises.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You can bring to Qian Hu or any lfs. The shops should be able to send your 2028 to QH for servicing.

Combining sand and soil will not yield the desired results. Soil is porous, while sand compacts over time..

Cheers

Thio
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 3rd Sep 2007 at 14:48. Reason: Remove Immediate Quote

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by aRmOn View Post
    Recently bought a 2nd hand filter, is there any expert or experience people using this set? Problem I'm facing now is that the water flow seem a bit low i.e. my 4ft tank water are getting cloudy each day. Even after altenate day water change of 50%. My tank size 4ft x 2 ft x 2ft. 6 x 54w T5 lights, co2 external diffuser. Resun CL-450. I'm using ADA Amazonia mix new and 2nd hand sand. Any LFS or local agent that services this filter? Thanks in advance for any advises.
    Are you connecting any extra device to the inlet or outlet of the canister? If yes that could be the reason of slow flowrate. Test by removing all the device and let it run for a while. Do hope everything work out for you.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Let it run for a week, the cloudiness will clear up. I'm running the same filter on 4ft tank with CO2 reactor and UV sterilizer. Flow rate still ok for me.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Maybe impeller problem.. any one knows how to tell if impeller is not working well...???..
    Jerry

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Remove the fine filter pad and run the filter. See if it's normal. If it is, then your filter is fine. Just that you either (a) stuffed in too much fine filter wool, or (b) the fine filter wool is very clogged. Since it's a new filter, most likely it's (a).

What else did you put in the filter?

Also, check for:
    - any kinks along the hose,
    - bubbles in the hose,
    - clogging in the hose.

Remember to check the inlets and outlets too.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Are you covering the inlet with a sponge/wool?

That is what i did when i kept CRS.. after awhile, the wool gets choked with too much dirt and hardly any water will flow into the filter.

Good luck in your trouble shooting.

Stephen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Biotopeshop View Post
    You can bring to Qian Hu or any lfs. The shops should be able to send your 2028 to QH for servicing.

Combining sand and soil will not yield the desired results. Soil is porous, while sand compacts over time..

Cheers

Thio
    thanks for the info and advised. Will try what others are advising but once no result than I sent it to QH

Quote Originally Posted by vinz View Post
    Remove the fine filter pad and run the filter. See if it's normal. If it is, then your filter is fine. Just that you either (a) stuffed in too much fine filter wool, or (b) the fine filter wool is very clogged. Since it's a new filter, most likely it's (a).

What else did you put in the filter?

Also, check for:
    - any kinks along the hose,
    - bubbles in the hose,
    - clogging in the hose.

Remember to check the inlets and outlets too.
    This sound logical and possible. Did have two nos of fine filter in the trays. My medias are basically ceramic rings, carbon and lava rocks (people says it help to make the water clear), well.. I give it try on this proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by chingkt View Post
    Are you connecting any extra device to the inlet or outlet of the canister? If yes that could be the reason of slow flowrate. Test by removing all the device and let it run for a while. Do hope everything work out for you.
    Inlet - I'm connecting to a surface skimmer, outlet - to my chiller. An LFS commented that this shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
    Let it run for a week, the cloudiness will clear up. I'm running the same filter on 4ft tank with CO2 reactor and UV sterilizer. Flow rate still ok for me.
    but its getting cloudier each day.

Quote Originally Posted by AA24 View Post
    Maybe impeller problem.. any one knows how to tell if impeller is not working well...???..
    bought a new impeller, still flow look the same with old set . BTW the flow rate is viewed from the outflow indicator where the marker goes to the red zone (read this in the manual), then there is possiblities a chokage (did wash & clean the motor - impeller housing) same result.
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 3rd Sep 2007 at 14:49.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Since you said 2nd hand,
    i presume there is no leakage, have you check whether is there a rubber housing on each of the tray ??
    It's a small piece of round rubber piece on EACH TRAY at the round part there.
    Then there is one more piece at the top in which the top motor will connect to the output.

Check if you have those.
    The white ball SHOULD be at the top spinning when max flow rate.
    mine at a 2ft tank is running max flowrate.
    btw, how much did the new impeller cost ?

Good luck.
    */Tank Specs*/
    3 x 1.5 x 1.5 ft
    Eheim Pro II 2028 x 1 -with 7L Co2 with external NA reactor
    4 X T5 Solite HO 39W bulbs
    KNO3 + PO4 + K on for Alternate days
    Seachem excel on BBA (die die die)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Inlet - I'm connecting to a surface skimmer, outlet - to my chiller. An LFS commented that this shouldn't be a problem.
    Currently I have connected a skimmer to my 2028. My flowrate drop tremendously. Without skimmer, flow ok. You setup also connect to a chiller, am sure flow rate will drop more ...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    just to add to the points so far...
    if you have just started your tank the ADA soil will take sometime to clear.
    water clarity will also get better after your tank is fully cycled too.
    celticfish
    It is a good day to die!!!
    I finally uploaded an avatar and Cupid is dead!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by r4211z View Post
    Since you said 2nd hand,
    i presume there is no leakage, have you check whether is there a rubber housing on each of the tray ??
    It's a small piece of round rubber piece on EACH TRAY at the round part there.
    Then there is one more piece at the top in which the top motor will connect to the output.

Check if you have those.
    The white ball SHOULD be at the top spinning when max flow rate.
    mine at a 2ft tank is running max flowrate.
    btw, how much did the new impeller cost ?

Good luck.
    checked. The rubber are there but this thing are more for incoming water before it get filtered and suck by impeller to outgoing? Correct me if I'm worng. New impeller cost me $32.

Quote Originally Posted by chingkt View Post
    Currently I have connected a skimmer to my 2028. My flowrate drop tremendously. Without skimmer, flow ok. You setup also connect to a chiller, am sure flow rate will drop more ...
    I see.. what you do after that? Did you remove your chiller?

Quote Originally Posted by celticfish View Post
    just to add to the points so far...
    if you have just started your tank the ADA soil will take sometime to clear.
    water clarity will also get better after your tank is fully cycled too.
    Actually I did the water cycled. First two week water did not cloudy too much, this is when there isn't any chiller or co2 connected to my system. But after third week when I start to connect chiller and co2 reactor, water getting more cloudy each day.
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 3rd Sep 2007 at 14:49.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    To all members who have been providing advises, I really appreciate it. I will try the advises and update if it really help. Thanks again for the great responses.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if you have done the complete cycle and the only difference is the chiller...
    then i am incline to say that the chiller "mess up" the cycle by lower temp.
    this may cause the bacteria to die off causing the clouding.
    i reckon the best thing to do is leave your tank be and observe the result after some time.
    the bacteria culture may "come back" and thinf will be sorted out by time...
    celticfish
    It is a good day to die!!!
    I finally uploaded an avatar and Cupid is dead!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by celticfish View Post
    if you have done the complete cycle and the only difference is the chiller...
    then i am incline to say that the chiller "mess up" the cycle by lower temp.
    this may cause the bacteria to die off causing the clouding.
    i reckon the best thing to do is leave your tank be and observe the result after some time.
    the bacteria culture may "come back" and thinf will be sorted out by time...
    thanks... I'm montoring this too