Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How to increase pH?

Feedback Score

How to increase pH?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, my new tank has been cycling for about 3 weeks already. Ammonia: 0 nitrite: dunno and nitrate:20. ph is about 8. I like to bring it to 8.2, but mine is only a 15 gal 2ft x 1ft x1ft tank, dun really hope to spend a bomb on a ph controller, is there any cheap and easy way? with such a level of nitrate , is it ok to intro some soft coral??

Feedback Score

How to increase pH?

Hi all, my new tank has been cycling for about 3 weeks already. Ammonia: 0 nitrite: dunno and nitrate:20. ph is about 8. I like to bring it to 8.2, but mine is only a 15 gal 2ft x 1ft x1ft tank, dun really hope to spend a bomb on a ph controller, is there any cheap and easy way? with such a level of nitrate , is it ok to intro some soft coral??

Feedback Score

How to increase pH?

Feedback Score

How to increase pH?

Feedback Score
    How are you testing the pH? By a electronic probe or by coloured indicators? It would help to know the situation of your Alkalinity too as it would indicate the buffering capacity of your tank water. If you want to increase pH, use Seachem Reef Buffer. If the alkalinity is normal then usually pH will be too.
    Nitrates don't affect softies as much as SPS, so assumming that lighting is adequate, it looks fine to add some soft corals. If you are worried about the nitrate situation, you can always do water changes. It shouldn't be too difficult to conduct 10-20% water change in your tank.

Feedback Score
    Hi Tanzy

I'm using a lousy color indicator strips from bioscience, got tricked to buy by the auntie~!!! Rather difficult to judge the colour, but its lighter than the 8.2 label yet darker than the 7.8 mark, so i tot its around 8. For now, besides a very small power head (12W) to run water within the tank, I'm only using the live rocks ot help in filtration. No skimmer or mechanical.

Lights wise, currently using an old 18w PL from the old 1ft tank, but it seems that the liverock is thriving with life using only this light~! tube worms are emerging and lotsa some hairy brown, some hairy green stuffs growing on the rocks are giving off tiny bubbles(i assume algae?) Looking around for a double 36w PL with hood, any recommendation?

Feedback Score
    Alkalinity testkits are usually more accurate than pH kits unless you measure pH by electronic methods. I won't be too bothered with the pH. If you are still worried than do a waterchange.
    I'm not too familiar with PL lighting, can't advise, sorry.
    Lighting is too low for soft corals unless you upgrade.

Feedback Score
    OK.. will do that~! Thanx Tanzy~!

Feedback Score
    SeaChem Reef Buffer...

To increase your PH or Alkalinity?????

I thought the Reef Buffer is to increase the Alkalinity...

reef builder is for alkalinity.
    reef buffer for ph.

regular water changes boost ph too.
    Acroporids and Tridacnids

Feedback Score
    I dun get it now. I tot any PH of larger than 7(neutral) is called alkaline???? What I know is that a buffer is used to keep the pH stable at a certain pH... in this case 8.2?... you can add alot of buffer and yet it stays at 8.2 while the other one, if add alot will increase to more than 8.2. Am I right to say this?

Feedback Score
    You are correct to say that a buffer is to prevent pH changes and to maintain it at a certain range of pH, hence the name buffer.
    Adding the correct amount of both Reef Builder and Reef Buffer will ultimately lead to a pH of 8.3. The difference is that Reef Buffer is primarily Sodium, Magnesium, Calcium and Potassium salts of Borates with some addition of Bicarbonates. The Borates will rapidly raise the buffering capacity of your water to 8.3, since it has a higher saturation point than carbonates and does not precipitate out with Calcium until a higher pH is reached, more can be added within a shorter time. Reef Builder being primarily of bicarbonates and carbonates will also stabilise around 8.3 but it has a higher tendency to precipitate out with calcium and magnesium than borates, so it cannot be added as quickly and in as large amount as Reef Buffer. Note that borates do not help in building hard coral skeletons and instead carbonates are used, hence the name Reef Builder. When you measure alkalinity, you are reading the total buffering capacity of the water which includes carbonates, bicarbonates and borates not just the carbonate levels.
    In the case of ionically balanced seawater, the combinations of all the ions and carbon dioxide concentration will give a pH of 8.2 to 8.3 but if you were to add a lot of Reef Builder or Reef Buffer in, you are shifting the balance and pH will increase above 8.3.

Feedback Score
    woah~! Thats informative~! Thanx Tanzy~!