Country
    Singapore

Riccia

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi folks,

BBA seems to be spreading to more plants including the slow-growing hairgrass. I'm planning to rid of them this weekend and put in Riccia. I intend to make square sachets out of those green netting (about 1-2 mm holes) bought from DIY store and put riccia in them. Not sure if the green netting is toxic though as it smells very plasticky. Maybe I should soak them in water for a day or two first.

What do you guys think ? Will it work ? I may try to tie them onto some small pieces of driftwood without netting as well.

Thks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi peter, there are many ways to secure riccia (wall tiles, wire/plastic mesh, stones, net) its up to personal preferences

i dun think u need to soak the plastic mesh b4 using, if u wanna be safe, pour some warm water over it

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey Peter,

Riccia is generally nice to look at, but maintenance is a real pain. Make sure you understand what you are getting yourself into before you get started.
    Allen

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hey ... tiles is a good idea !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thks allen. i heard about it but not sure what exactly is the pain. is it because it keeps coming off and floats to the surface ? thks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    if u can get sample tiles, they r much smaller than the norm kind.. i have some if u want, but they r in different colors

Feedback Score
    You can plant hairgrass together with your riccia to prevent it from floating up. Another way is tie your riccia in multiple small pieces, when it grow up, it will entangle each other and not so easy to float up.
    Last but not least is to trim your riccia when it reach around 1.5 inches long, and pour some sand over it.

rgds

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 1/9/2002 8:48:34 PM

You can plant hairgrass together with your riccia to prevent it from floating up. Another way is tie your riccia in multiple small pieces, when it grow up, it will entangle each other and not so easy to float up.
    Last but not least is to trim your riccia when it reach around 1.5 inches long, and pour some sand over it.

rgds

----------------
    Errr... wouldn't you find your substrate getting higher and higher? []
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Heh heh....my objective is to create a highland topo with riccia as a background plant and not as carpet grass.
    You are right, or else it will become like the riccia tank in Nature, the riccia is reaching the water surface alreadiii...
    [] [] []

Feedback Score
    i had already given up on ricca, when i started, it just look nice, actually up to now it look better :P
    But the triming is really hard work, cut and triming.
    The worst part is netting out the trimmed ricca!! it's seems that it's almost immpossibe to clear it. they float here and there, got entangle in the plants. ohhhh...
    Should i give up or not????
    It look very very nice leh. but the work involve is really BIG