Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How does one tell if cherry shrimps are pregnant?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How does one tell if cherry shrimps are pregnant?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Can cherries expert here advice me if the shrimp in the picture is pregnant? I apologized for the low quality picture cos taken by my mobile phone.
    Last edited by riccia; 28th Oct 2007 at 21:47.
    don't worry, be happy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi riccia,

your picture is very blur. so it is hard to tell. anyway, if it is pregnant, you will be able to see an obvious cluster of yellowish eggs under the body, protected by the 'swimmerettes' (hope the spelling is right). These are the small legs that help the shrimp in swimming.
    "Tandas Berkualiti, Hidup Berkualiti"

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    riccia

It starts with a yellow (sometimes green) patch just behind the head where the ovaries are. It looks like a small saddle (like for riding on a horse) and is (often) called that. After some weeks (about 3 weeks for my cherries), a male will fertilise the female. I have never witnessed this but there are pictures on a few shrimp sites. Then the eggs travel down to the belly area under the swimmerettes. After about another 2 to 3 weeks, little shrimplets are hatched. I managed to see one such hatching. Rather interesting. The shrimplet seem to spring towards the back of the female. Rather hard to spot since they are tiny and colourless.

If you have a number of mature females, they don't seem to stop once they start.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Don't look like she is carrying eggs yet but she might be well on her way with the yellow patch on the back.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks to gummynut, fisherw & luenny

i will take a good look at the shrimps tonight based on what i have learned from you guys here. i will try to post a clearer picture again.
    don't worry, be happy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow you guys are all experts in this area. Thanks for all the additional info. Hope to witness the hatching soon....
    Last edited by Quixotic; 18th Sep 2007 at 08:43. Reason: Please kindly avoid SMS lingo: 'u'