Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: UV steriliser Vs Blackout method

UV steriliser Vs Blackout method

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Recently had this problem of water becoming cloudy and now it's like turning green. Have tried frequent water changes, filter cleaning, reduce feeding and geo liquid but does not help much. Heard that a UV steriliser is quite effective in dealing with green water but rather expensive. Would like to try out the blackout method but not too sure whether it is effective against green water. Anyone tried the blackout method b4 ?

If I were to get the UV thing, what is the spec that I should look at? is it worth investing ? I am having a 3ft tank.

Thanks in advance.

Recently had this problem of water becoming cloudy and now it's like turning green. Have tried frequent water changes, filter cleaning, reduce feeding and geo liquid but does not help much. Heard that a UV steriliser is quite effective in dealing with green water but rather expensive. Would like to try out the blackout method but not too sure whether it is effective against green water. Anyone tried the blackout method b4 ?

If I were to get the UV thing, what is the spec that I should look at? is it worth investing ? I am having a 3ft tank.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Before you invest in a UV steriliser... try blackout. I've done it once and it worked. You have to do it as complete as possible. Major water change first to reduce as much green water as possible. Then cover the sides of the tank to reduce as much ambient light as possible. Give it about 3 days or more.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Don't forget to aerate the water.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

what's the logic behind aerating in a planted tank invested with cloudy/green water ? I am trying out the blackout method. Thinking of using Interpet Filter aid and Green Away ? Will this be harmful to the plants and biological system ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Try doing a major water change, and have more frquent water changes [once eyery 2-3days].

Then have some floating plants to absorb nutrients from the water colume. And of course no dosing.

Maybe also try reducing lighting time and intensity.

Check yr phosphate level in the water, could be high.

Try NOT to use any anti-algae chemicals.

my 2 cents, let me know on yr progress.

Thanks.
    The key to success is patience. If that fails, screw the guy in front of you!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    david, when u block the lights from yr plants, they wldnt produce or produce less O2.. therefore aeration is for yr fishes

OIC. Thanks.

Some updates...yesterday added in the Interpet Filter Aid in addition to the blackout method. This morning, when I remove the black cloth, the water is crystal clear again. But some of my fishes died as a result. Not too sure the deaths are caused by the filter aid chemical or ph shock (water change). Just want to check whether I can stop the blackout method for now or continue for a few more days.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Cheers

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Did u stop CO2 supply while u blackout the tank? If CO2 continues to run into the tank and the plants are not utilising it, its a matter of time before CO2 poisoning can happen.

Why didn't I think of that [:0]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    LOL [] ...another careless fish owner.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    My 2ft tank also encountered green water problem after redo my plantng after 3 days. Have tried large water changes every 2 days but problem still persist. Recommended by Ben from petmart using this poly filter to absorb all forms of phosphates and other harmful organics and toxic ammonia.
    After about 5 days, water was crystal clear again without changing water since started using the filter. Need to control the lighting time for it to take effect.
    Quite ex for the small filter but it save me alot of troubles.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 9/29/2002 9:04:32 PM

need to control the lighting time for it to take effect.
    Quite ex for the small filter but it save me alot of troubles.
    ----------------
    *cough*
    [:]