3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Questions on Corydoras

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I clean my tank by hovering a gravel cleaner above the substrate so that minimal sand is being sucked up. The detritus and other unwanted gunk is usually lighter and will be sucked in without much issue.

With respect to your issue on the quarantined Corydoras.. Perhaps the Corydoras was just exploring the new environment and hence was more active than usual. Other possibilities could be the position of your quarantine tank, temperature, water condition, light, etc..

Overly active Corydoras might not be a good thing either, actually. It might also be a sign of poor water conditions or that the activity near the tank is causing them to be scared. This is especially so in a pet store since many people dip their nets in and knock on the glass.
    Setup: ADA Cube Garden 45-P, Starlitz Clear 45, Eheim Aquacompact 40
    Layout/Hardscape: ADA Amazonia Powder Soil, Borneowild Rutsuuddo Wood (SS Root Type)
    Fauna: Apisto Trifasciata, Sundadanio Axelrodi (Blue), Yamato Shrimp

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It finally occurred to me that Cory Sterbais rummage in the sand not because they love to do it. Since the whole bed of sand on the aquarium bottom can be overturned by them, it is obviosu that they are searching for worms underneath, which they relish very much.

Those Sterbais in the shops (with no sand) are happy simply because they didn't have to hurt their snouts doing much digging, since they would have been routinely given an abundance of Tubifex worms.

Now maybe I will be born again as a Corey Sterbai? lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Sazeyplus2 View Post
    Ok, but how do you clean a tank with sand? My cories barbels seem fine. And how do you explain the one Corey so happy in an empty tank? Whenever I go to a pet or aquatic store, the cories are swimming all over the place?? Thanks again
    Last edited by tetrakid; 16th Mar 2012 at 15:25.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

In the pet or aquatic stores, the fish are not exactly happy. This depends on the conditions that the shop staff give to these catfish. The one you have in the hospital tank is probably stressed. I only see Corydoras swimming all over the place only when they are in breeding mood. 3/4 of the time, they will be on the bottom rooting about for food, or propping themselves on the pelvic fins. Here in Singapore, we can see the difference in Corydoras sold at a store that cares for their well-being, and a store that keeps them in cramped conditions with little food.

You can clean a tank with sand using a simple siphon with a regular air line tubing. Their poop will remain on top of the sand, and you can siphon these out easily. Regular gravel vacuums are not recommended for sand based tanks.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by doppelbanddwarf View Post
    In the wild corydoras actually forage among fine sand for food. Their barbels are actually adapted to find food among the detritus. A fine layer of sand would help them feel more at home IMHO.
    Until you see this video

Corydoras-live-on-various-substrates :
    http://en.aquanet.tv/Video/225-soft-...ous-substrates

And be amazed how adaptable Cory are in the wild !!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the nice video. Yes I do believe they'll feel more at home with substrate as compared to a bare tank.
    Last edited by doppelbanddwarf; 27th May 2012 at 12:45.
    chongyu

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all, my cories are laying eggs abundantly on the tank glass constantly. Tried to take out eggs and hatch them but with no success as the fries dies after a week. Been feeding the fries with liquid fry but with no success. Question here is if I leave the eggs as they are, will they survive after they hatched? What do the fries feed on? I have a bare tank with nanas on driftwood as well as java moss also tied on driftwood. There are no other fishes in tank. Any suggestions from brothers who have successfully bred them? Thank you in advance

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by andytan View Post
    Hi all, my cories are laying eggs abundantly on the tank glass constantly. Tried to take out eggs and hatch them but with no success as the fries dies after a week. Been feeding the fries with liquid fry but with no success. Question here is if I leave the eggs as they are, will they survive after they hatched? What do the fries feed on? I have a bare tank with nanas on driftwood as well as java moss also tied on driftwood. There are no other fishes in tank. Any suggestions from brothers who have successfully bred them? Thank you in advance
    Here's my two cents bro, your hatching out set-up is possibly too clean. If your tank has no egg-eating snails and is mature some will survive if they find enough food. I'm no breeder, but have a quite few "accidentally bred" hastatus. Had been trying to hatch them out in a separate set-up but always failed. Left them alone in the tank and ended up with juveniles now. From what I've seen, they basically snack on mulm, or stuff in the mulm. Liquid fry should in theory provide them food by the way. "Hikari First Bites" is a good powder food that fry in general might snack on. But if there isn't enough food to go around not a lot of them grow out. My set-ups have always either have coral sand (I keep snails) or active soil. One of the fry I accidentally hatched out was from an unfiltered tauhuey container that contained a lot of mulm (and looked really dirty, but was actually relatively clean). Don't fuss over them too much is how I feel.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you bro Draka for the advice. Will try it and see how it goes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Draka View Post
    One of the fry I accidentally hatched out was from an unfiltered tauhuey container that contained a lot of mulm (and looked really dirty....
    I wonder where you got this silly idea from...
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill View Post
    I wonder where you got this silly idea from...
    Haha from an eccentric kind soul, you know, the kind where in the movie the main character goes into a nondescript shop and comes out with some wise knowledge? :P

Anyway silly me didn't even remember the mulm method until that "accident" happened. That container was for worms actually.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi guys, i have a few cory catfishes in my community tank (3ft long) and am thinking of getting dwarf crayfish also. Will they affect the cories (more specifically will these tiny lobsters try to snip off the barbels of the cories)?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, can someone tell me what this is, found it growing on my newly added driftwood, started growing a few days to a week there. I dont know what to do, doesnt really look like white fungus, anyway, tank is kind of cycled so i added a pair of otos and a nerite snail but they dont seem to be eating. What is it and can i know how to get rid of it. I know this isnt really related to cory's but i need help please. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

White jelly/fungus is normal for new woods. You shoud be fine with some yamato and rednose shrimps.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234