Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malayan Box Turtle in Vivariums?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Malayan Box Turtle in Vivariums?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Anyone keeping Malayan Box Turtle and has a setup to share?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Box turtles are banned in Singapore right?
    - eric

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I believe it is so.
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    http://www.ava.gov.sg/AnimalsPetSect...ex.htm#animals
    Malayan box turtle (Cuora amboinensis) CITES Appendix II

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Malayan Box Turtle is allowed in Singapore by AVA. The only turtle allowed besides the common Red Ear Slider.

This is my set-up for my turtle.

I linked it to my other community tank with plants to make use of the nutrients from the turtle poo.
    Yours Truly, Avan

I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life... to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

~ Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    very nice set up bro!. the MBT need water? no tank mates?
    Last edited by benny; 7th Oct 2007 at 22:33.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Erm..it is not a MBT but another species of turtle I picked up in a LFS sometime back. It is called Ocadia Sinensis aka Chinese-Stripped Neck Turtle. Qianhu mixed up a RES shipment in 2005 and included a batch of these turtles for sale to the LFS. I just so happened to be researching in Fengshui back then and was about to get a turtle to improve career luck so it was a coincidence that I got it. If I was a week earlier or a week later...I would have missed this lovable guy! My mum can't get enough of it and she was the one to push me to get a bigger home for it so I did the setup in June this year.

MBT is an aquatic turtle and would require both land and water. I read somewhere that a 50/50 ratio would be good. My Ocadia crawls out of the tub whenever it needs to dry itself...though he needs help to get in

Tankmates? Feeder fish and ghost shrimps (feeder shrimps). It is a survival of the fittest in my tank. The fittest will survive the turtle and breed thus ensuring good genes in my fish They even steal food away from it's beak now and peck at its shell and limbs at times.

Some more shots..feeding time...

Looking for the bedroom...

Sitting on the fence...
    Yours Truly, Avan

I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life... to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

~ Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    very cute bro!.. whats the size when you first bought?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i doubt they'd ban the animal considering it's native to Singapore. Though i suppose since it's endangered it's sale would be regulated. We should really ban the red eared sliders though...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It looks just like any other terrapins you see in the LFS. About 50 cent big.

Baby photos

Yours Truly, Avan

~ Henry David Thoreau

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    very cute bro!... seems like it grew to quite a big size

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Erm, isn't this thread asking about the Malayan Box Turtle? Maybe we should discuss about the LEGAL ones instead...

Yes, the Malayan Box Turtle is allowed to be kept as a pet in Singapore... Along with the commonly seen Red-ear Slider...

Anyway, I thought all turtles are oppotunistic feeders and will tear up everything to try eating them, right?... So, how to keep them properly in a vivarium?

And anyone able to provide the statistics of the Malayan Box Turtles? i.e. How big they grow to etc?
    Read me! :bigsmile: http://justikanz.blogspot.com/

I'm crypt collecting... Starting cheap, now have Cryptocoryne beckettii, C.beckettii var petchii, C.crispatula var.balansae, C.griffithii(Melted! ), C.nurii, C.parva, C.pygmaea(Melted! ), C.tonkinensis(Melted! ), C.walkeri, C.wendtii 'Brown', C.wendtii 'Green', C.wendtii 'Green Gecko', C.wendtii 'Tropica' and Cryptocoryne x willisii

Oh, juggling is hard work, man!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks zyback. Looks workable. If you ever want a companion for it, try the chinatown wet market, sadly they are sometimes sold as food.

Malayan Box Turtle vital statistics: Max Carapace length: 25 cm.

http://www.ecologyasia.com/verts/tur...x_terrapin.htm

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The Malayan Box can get up to about 14 inches depending on the sex of the animal. These guys do better in a 50/50 set and are not supposed to be very strong swimmers. Most habitats I've seen them in don't go deeper than 12 inches.
    Avan, what kind of lighting do you have for your turtle? All turtles need a UVB light, or if not possible, at least half an hour of unfiltered sunlight daily. From your pics, you're lucky you've got a male. Females can top out at about 13 inches in carapace length and you'd end up needing an even bigger home for it.
    With most turtles, the older they get, the more vegetable matter is consumed. Romaine lettuce and other dark leafy vegetables are a better choice(nutritional value) than light leafed vegetables like Iceberg lettuce.
    Call me Brian.

P.S. This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Malayan Box Turtle in Vivariums?

Still searching for this turtle.....anyone has any updates?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

i did saw one near my house grassland mths back and it was like 4inch big... but didnt see it again...it common in malaysia doh.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The malayan box turtle is really cute and pretty with its three yellow stripes. It is definitely a keeper and beautiful to admire.

Unfortunately we can't find it in our LFS here. I believe it could be going extinct soon:
    http://www.malaysiakini.com/letters/96742

Well, if you manage to find and keep one, don't feed it spinach.
    It sure loves prawns and grapes though (in moderation). Really funny to watch when it "smells" a chopped up prawn meat.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I have a setup in a 3x2' fibre tub, half of it is "land", half of it is water. The water is about 4 to 6cm and the land is filled with sand and leaves.New water is dripped in slowly and overflow out of the tub when too much.

Inside there, there are 2 MBT.
    silane

Feedback Score
    Country
    Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by brianclaw View Post
    The Malayan Box can get up to about 14 inches depending on the sex of the animal. These guys do better in a 50/50 set and are not supposed to be very strong swimmers. Most habitats I've seen them in don't go deeper than 12 inches.
    Avan, what kind of lighting do you have for your turtle? All turtles need a UVB light, or if not possible, at least half an hour of unfiltered sunlight daily. From your pics, you're lucky you've got a male. Females can top out at about 13 inches in carapace length and you'd end up needing an even bigger home for it.
    With most turtles, the older they get, the more vegetable matter is consumed. Romaine lettuce and other dark leafy vegetables are a better choice(nutritional value) than light leafed vegetables like Iceberg lettuce.
    hey brianyou said that malayan box turtle can eat prawn meat right raw or cooked

Feedback Score
    Country
    Philippines

please reply brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast