Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: What do I do with little plantlets..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

What do I do with little plantlets..

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey guys,

Got a newbie question here, what do I do with them little plantlets growing on the leaves of my Java Ferns (Microsorum pteropus)? Can I cut the stem of those leaves and attach them on a drift wood? or do I just let them be and grow until they are bigger before I do anything..please advise.

Another question is, does this mean the plants are health? Does the tank temperature of around 24-26C make any difference in the growth as compared to 28-29C? I've got 2 tanks and it seems like the 28-29C isnt doing too well.

Cheers.
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beerholder.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You can pluck them off and attach to driftwood, but only if they already have roots and leaves of their own.

If your Java fern leaves are green and healthy and growing, the presence of plantlets shouldn't cause any problem. But if they are brown or black, then the plantlets are appearing due to the Java fern's last attempt at keeping it's species alive.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    Just trim it off, even Amano recommends so. It looks nicer without the plantlets anyway. They normally grow on leaves that are dying. Trimming it is a good idea as it gives space for newer leaves to do well.

To grow the plantlets you must have some patience and take some care. I normally just get some satay sticks and tie it on them, stick it into substrate and let it grow to a decent size before harvesting for other uses.
    You can if you dare to fail - Stan Chung

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If the plant is newly bought, the leaf is probably emersed and plantlets growing from it is pretty common. I find this especially true if your water column is lean.

ck

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks for the replies guys. I thought the idea by StanChung and the satay stick was helpful.

CK Yeo.. pardon me but what does "lean" water column means? and yes those plants are newly bought.

Cheers guys.
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beerholder.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    "lean", meaning you don't dose in the water column with liquid fertilizers.

ck