Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How offten should I do water change?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

How offten should I do water change?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    How offten should I do water change? I do the water change every month 1-2times. I don't take out the water from tank. I get my tap water in the bucket and use tap dechlorinator. I let it sit there for 2-4days. After 2-4days I add water to just fill up the tank. Is that how should be done? I had this tank for close to 4months now. In 4months I started with about 20-25 cherries and 3-4 cherries died so far. Some say don't take out waters from tank and just add water every 2-3 weeks little bit. Some says take out some water and add new water... Any sugguestion on water change, please help.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Cool Hi

Hi bro,

Just my 2 cents of advise. Water change is necessary to maintain your aquariums and it will be beneficial to your fishes and shrimp. You need to remove 25 - 30 % of your water and add in the water from your tap. Before you add in the water, you must add in the anti-chrlorine first. You need to do WC once every week. I am not an expert but just speaking from my experience.

Cheers

Koolman

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    I see. thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I change about 10% water erevy week.

I use aged water for water changes.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    As mentioned from another thread,my water change routine involves topping up fresh tap water straight from the tap. I've not experienced any deaths with any of my fauna whatsoever with this routine since setting up my tank 6mths back.
    If i do feel like it,i'll do a 25%? water change MAYBE once every 2months at best.
    So far i've only done 2 water changes and the rest just top up whatever that's evaporated.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by go9ma123 View Post
    How offten should I do water change? I do the water change every month 1-2times. I don't take out the water from tank. I get my tap water in the bucket and use tap dechlorinator. I let it sit there for 2-4days. After 2-4days I add water to just fill up the tank. Is that how should be done? I had this tank for close to 4months now. In 4months I started with about 20-25 cherries and 3-4 cherries died so far. Some say don't take out waters from tank and just add water every 2-3 weeks little bit. Some says take out some water and add new water... Any sugguestion on water change, please help.
    Actually the object of removing water from the tank is to reduce the toxic stuff in the tank & by adding new water you can dilute it...

In nature water is normally not stagnant (Think of a river)... So there is always fresh water... In the case of a closed body of water eg. Pond there is always rain & plants in the pond...

So doing water change is to remove stuff that are not good for your shrimps...

Think of your tank as a toilet bowl... If you don't remove the bad stuff how will your shrimps survive? With the help of a good filter system & water change it will provide your shrimps with an ideal enviroment that you can possibly imitate...
    Last edited by Quixotic; 23rd Oct 2007 at 17:03. Reason: SMS lingo: 'dun'

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I water once a week, 20% of them will be changed with aged water

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

Share a 'good practice' with you guys.

I have 20-over soda bottles which I fill up with water from water change, these are used for watering plants. Once the supply runs dry, I do water change. It serves 2 purpose:
    1) Reminder to do water changes
    2) Recycle the water

In my opinion, if you're not using EI, then how frequently you do water changes really depends on 4 things:
    1. The tank size
    2. How heavily planted it is
    3. Bioload
    4. Filter

Although it is not the topic of discussion here...

Topping off water or doing water changes without adding water conditioner is not advisable (in my opinion). On one hand we something read about 'success stories' like what Aquanatix shared, on the other, we also read of disasters where hobbyists have entire pleco collection wipeout.

What could contribute to these contrasting reports? Tank size and volumn of water? Residential area? Sensitivity of fishes? Filter type/size? I don't know, so I am playing safe.

On the topic of ageing water... I posted a query sometime back http://aquaticquotient.com/forum/sho...8&postcount=47 no response yet.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hey bro,
    How do you prevent your shrimplets being drain out during water change?

Regards,
    Radiance
    Last edited by benny; 24th Oct 2007 at 16:46. Reason: Remove immediate quote

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Water changing methods are kinda taboo actually?
    Like me,i don't really have a problem when it comes to water changing routine. As mentioned by bossteck,mine is sort of a success story! I've never really done the top up method until i started planted tanks,it was introduced to me by a fellow bro who sold me my very 1st batch of Cherry Red Shrimps which lines are still carrying on in my tank!For me it sounded easy and was more suitable for my working schedule hence it became my regular routine ever since. My fauna did pretty well so did my flora.Make no mistake,i do use aged water and do the necessary conditions when setting up all my tanks. It's just the "after" part that i'm quite slack with.
    My discus tanks do well with daily 50% water changes straight from the tap and i live in Jurong,an area i hear that supposedly has the "worse" water conditions due to industrial areas?
    I do believe i one thing though,so long as the formula works don't change it?
    In regards to Radiance's question about the prevention of accidentally sucking out shrimplets during water change,i usually drain water nearer to the surface and cover the inlet with a wire gauze of sorts.(green mesh usually used to attach plants). Hope it helps?