Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Exclamation Newbie Queries on Nitrate, filtration and CO2

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    What is the truth about nitrate?? read in planted tank it should be 0 then read it is vitial to plant life.

What is the truth about filtration ... read that a tank can substain it's self with out filtration just the proper balance of plants and fish ..what is that balance anyone with exp. please let me know

what is the truth about Co2 .... is it true that you must fert. when adding co2....

i do not know what to think with all the mixed info i have been finding please inform this newbie
    Last edited by Wackytpt; 20th Oct 2007 at 08:29.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Welcome to AQ pretty_lil_fishy.

From the fish breeding point of view, nitrate levels should be as low as possible. From the plant health point of view, nitrate is essential for nitrogen, which plants need in considerable amounts for growth. However, for nitrate to be harmful to fish it has to be in extremely high levels of concentration in the water, something which is very difficult to achieve if you have a planted tank and when you change water regularly.

A tank can not sustain itself indefinitely without human interference. However, you can minimize the level of maintenance you have to do on the tank. This can only be learnt, in my opinion, after a period of time dabbling in planted tanks. To have a low maintenance tank you need to know how the planted tank "ecology" works. Try reading Diana Walstad's Ecology of the Planted Aquarium or the "Non-CO2 method" sticky in the Beginner's Forum written by Tom Barr.

When you add CO2, plant growth rates explode. However, they cannot grow well without adequate fertilisation to go with the CO2. When you grow, you need food. When you grow at fast rates, you finish up food faster, therefore you need to be replenished with enough food.

In the planted tank world the usual fish-only tank keeping tips do not necessarily apply. From the way we set the tank up, to the cycling process and weekly maintenance, everything is different. There is a lot of reading to do.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States
    thanks a bunch ...i read as much as i can .. i have quite a few books and they all seem to have differrent tidbits of info and some times counterdict each other ... my tank is doing well ..... but i want to know all that i can ... planning on getting more tanks love the peaceful feeling i get while watching my pretty lil fishys....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by |squee| View Post
    When you add CO2, plant growth rates explode. However, they cannot grow well without adequate fertilisation to go with the CO2. When you grow, you need food. When you grow at fast rates, you finish up food faster, therefore you need to be replenished with enough food.
    IMHO CO2 alone will not make plant growth rates explode. To make growth rates explode, you need higher light wattage or energy. Higher light will increase photosynthesis, thus faster growth. However it must be accompany by increase in CO2 and nutrient intake.

my 2 cents
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/